UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2020, 6:40 pm   #1
crohamblues
Triode

Default Sony HMK-70 repair issue

Hi

hopefully someone can assist. Ive just bought a really nice HMK-70 with speakers and box from a charity shop, its in really nice condition, tape and radio work well however the turntable has an issue. originally it worked, in fact it only turned off when the unit was turned off i.e. the start stop button didn't do anything. I removed the platter and have clearly upset something as now the motor runs, but sends the tonearm immediately to the end of the record where it sits there, kind of jams. I wonder whether its just an alignment thing, or something more sinister. I appreciate that this is kind of vague, would,d be great if anyone has had experience of these. thanks, Justin
Old 14th Jul 2020, 7:26 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony HMK-70 repair issue

It's possible that you may have knocked the tip off the stylus during your investigations - this would cause the arm to skid to the centre of the record.
Old 14th Jul 2020, 7:45 pm   #3
crohamblues
Triode

Thanks Edward. No the stylus is all good. I think maybe my description is a bit confused. Essentially the start stop mechanism isn't working. The turntable spins as soon as the power is on, the start stop button doesn't do anything, the gears that control the arm movement dont return it to the start of the rest when it gets to the end.
Old 15th Jul 2020, 8:22 am   #4
Michael Maurice

It's probably suffering from dried up grease and will need to be stripped, cleaned and re-lubricated. if you remove the turntable you will see a large cog, you should be able to turn it fairly easily by hand. Also check the trip pawl (google it) is able to move freely and is activated when the arm moves near the centre of the record.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 15th Jul 2020, 2:40 pm   #5
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

This a common problem caused by the turntable thrust bearing. Worth checking turntable height and the bearing as shown here:

Link https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...59&postcount=3

Rich