UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2020, 11:41 am   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default Telsen Jupiter tuning drum dial cord

Hi all,

I have a Telsen Jupiter SG radio dating from the early 1930s that uses a drum drive tuning dial. Unfortunately the drive cord has long broken and I need to thread up a new one but the method used on this is (to me) somewhat confusing.

As can be seen via the photos there is a large spring actually on the side of the drum that holds one end of the cord, I've already started by tieing the new cord to this. After that it wraps around the outer drum edge and there seems to be a few guiding wheels along the bottom of the casing and these look like they feed from the dial spindles, which is a dual tuning type with coarse and fine spindles to control the speed of tuning.

From there it seems like there are two springs on the outer side of the casing which also hold two ends of the cord (or another cord)? There are then two holes on the side of the casing in which these feed through to the mechanism.

I hope I've explained that in a non confusing manner, but I find it confusing that there are three points for the cord to tie to and there isn't enough cord left to work out how it was threaded in the first place! I've tried to photograph but it is difficult as the tuning caps are still attached to the drum.

I just wondered if anyone had a similar drum drive and could shed any light on how this should be threaded!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200715_112344.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	211068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200715_112414.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	211069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200715_112253.jpg