UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2020, 3:36 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Philips reel to reel DIN wiring

Hi all

I plan to buy a DIN to 2 mono jack or 2 phono lead so that I can record some material from some old tapes.

I seem to think that Phillips wired their DINs differently to others - have I made this up?

I just want to check before I order one from ebay or wherever.

Thanks

Martin
Old 14th Jul 2020, 3:47 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Phillips reel to reel DIN wiring

Buy a DIN to 4 phonos and you will have covered all eventualities. Also get 2 Phono socket to Jack adaptors and you can use them as required.
Old 14th Jul 2020, 3:51 pm   #3
paulsherwin

That is good advice. Alternatively, if you are capable of making up your own cables, you can just work out which signal is on which pin by trial and error.

I think Philips followed the DIN standard for their line in/out sockets, but did some strange things with the mic socket.
Old 14th Jul 2020, 4:10 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Cheers chaps.

Yes I can make cables, but something like this is usually cheaper to buy via ebay. Four phonos is a good idea!
Old 14th Jul 2020, 10:17 pm   #5
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Philips reel to reel DIN wiring

Philips would often use the same pins for both input and output (pins 3 and 5 IIRC) - is that what you are thinking of? In this case the input would be designed to accept higher levels than the standard DIN input pins.
Closed Thread