UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2020, 7:08 pm   #1
MrsLJDJP
Diode

Default Goblin 835c Auto function not working

Hello all

I hope I haven’t missed a thread that is too similar. Apologies if I have.

I have just acquired this lovely machine and have given it a clean up. I know basically nothing about electrics but had a little look in the base and back panel and used a thread on here to help me to disconnect the buzzer (way too scary a prospect for me in the morning before a cuppa!). I have had success with Tea Now mode but cannot get it to boil in Auto function.

Any help is much appreciated.

I’ve attached some pics but not sure how useful they will be. Again, I really know nothing about electronics so please feel free to provide any answer in the simplest of terms, as if to a child 😄 I won’t be offended

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5C8DE4AC-EE07-468D-9879-2CFC4D8E9658.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	208936   Click image for larger version

Name:	ED864A2A-BC59-4FEB-97DB-6D77874D7B3B.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	208937   Click image for larger version

Name:	12986A82-D55C-4290-B420-5EA875CCB2A7.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	208938  
Old 20th Jun 2020, 10:00 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin 835c Auto function not working

Hello,

If the 'Tea Now' works then the kettle and associated bits must be OK, so it's something between the clock and main switch (switch on the left-hand side of your first pic.)

Even with just the clock running, you should hear a click about ten minutes before the kettle boils; can you hear that?
As a matter of interest, I can only see two leads from the clock, one green (earth) and one white (going to switch) There should be another white lead from clock to switch.

Your 835 is one of the earlier ones with a better clock!
Old 20th Jun 2020, 11:04 am   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Hello,

As a matter of interest, I can only see two leads from the clock, one green (earth) and one white (going to switch) There should be another white lead from clock to switch.
I think I can see a second white wire tucked under the first just by the pink cable clip.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 3:24 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Thanks, Duncan - I must have missed that!
It looks, then, that there's something awry about the clock contacts as the main switch is usually very robust.

We'll see what Mrs L says ...

It's probably going to need a bit of dismantling
Old 20th Jun 2020, 6:48 pm   #5
MrsLJDJP
Diode

Hi

Thanks all for your responses. Luckily it seems I’ve avoided the dismantling for now ��. After I posted this yesterday I opened it up again and in not very technical terms wiggled and poked some more bits and had another go at cleaning, especially the clock area. I’m happy to say it all seems to be working well now! Not sure what I did but I’m happy and I was woken up with a nice cuppa this morning �� (which I normally am by Mr L anyway, but I guess he is surplus to requirements now ����)

Many thanks again and nice to hear I have a version with a good clock - in what way is it ‘good’ compared to others out of curiosity?

L
Old 20th Jun 2020, 7:31 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Good news. Wiggled and poked is indeed a technical term, we do it frequently. First step after eyes and nose, and before a cup of tea
Old 21st Jun 2020, 9:15 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

... or coffee! (I don't drink tea - never have done. Not yer typical brit.)

The 835 is better than the earlier models like the D25 inasmuch as you have have the 'Tea Now' setting.

The later ones with the key switches are too flimsy and might not last as long.

Your earlier 835 has the same motor as the D25 with no plastic bits - later 835 use a different motor with a lot of nylon wheels; cleaning and lubricating it is a major operation.

Good to hear that you're all sorted now. Cuppa in bed every morning