UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2021, 10:57 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Bush flip clock (Bush CR232)

Good morning

I have a Bush CR232 radio alarm clock from around 1974 which I've been meaning to get working for a while now. It all works well other than the clock function. I originally thought it had seized, so I oiled it up and had then realised the wires had been disconnected from the PCB.

I've bought the manual and I think that the wires come out of two holes in the transformer but I'm not sure. There's also a tag strip that's connected to the transformer which could also possibly be the links for the clock, but I'm really not sure. I've tried doing some voltage tests but I think my multimeter is done for as it's only reading millivolts. (I've changed the batteries and tested several things) so I can't work out whether it's suited there or not.

If anyone has a photo or knows where the wires should go (one's white and the other's orange, if that helps) I'd really appreciate the help

Thanks
'77
Old 1st Dec 2021, 2:07 pm   #2
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Bush flip clock (Bush CR232)

Don’t quote me on it but I believe the motors are Infact mains voltage . It was obviously disconnected for some reason in the first place. 2 thoughts spring to mind. Open circuit motor coil. Or clock motor got noisy ie worn or dry bearings . First thing I would do is check the coil resistance. If your meter is up to that. If it’s open circuit, your problem is finding a replacement.
Don’t over oil any clock , you will cause more harm than good. Especially any nylon gears.
Andy
Old 1st Dec 2021, 3:02 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

You're right about the mains voltage, it is tapped off just before the mains enters the transformer on the diagram. When I first got it I researched it and the mechanism used was known to dry up, so I'm hoping it's that, and they wires got cut to use the radio. I'd only given it a couple of drops of clock oil so should be okay, it is moving quite freely, so I think I'm okay on that front. Hopefully!

I have continuity through the motor which is good, my meter could tell me that much.

I've uploaded the pictures, should they be of help.

Thanks
'77
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	137
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	247067   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	247068   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	247069  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 1st Dec 2021 at 3:12 pm.
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 3:16 am   #4
bionicmerlin
Heptode

The pictures aren’t much help but on the diagram assuming that’s the correct one for your clock , it’s very clear that the motor is connected to the mains side of the transformer. . Does the mains go to the tag strip first ,then to the transformer. Also its in parallel with the neon . Possibly the neon is connected to the tag strip as well. It shouldn’t matter what way round the motor white and orange wires go to the mains .
Your probably ok with your oiling , in a ideal world I try and get all the old oil cleaned off before applying fresh. That’s not always easy and probably abit over the top.
Some of these clocks have a internal fuse but yours appears not to have one . Just make sure you have a low amperage fuse in the plug top . We used to use 2Amp but I think you can only get 3amp now. Andy
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 12:14 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post

Some of these clocks have a internal fuse but yours appears not to have one . Just make sure you have a low amperage fuse in the plug top . We used to use 2Amp but I think you can only get 3amp now. Andy
1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13 amp fuses are all readily available. 7A does seem to be slightly less common which seems a bit odd given the old MK plugs with a little indicator for 3, 7 and 13A fuse ratings.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:11 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi all

There is a tag strip that the mains entered into and went off to the transformer. This did look like it had been worked on before, so the motor came from there, i'd believe. It adds up with the circuit diagram. I reconnected the motor and think I found why it was disconnected, I believe the motor has a short as when I switched on, out came a plume of smoke. I've disconnected it again and will just keep it as a radio, as it sounds pretty good.

Shame about that but I had nothing to lose. Maybe one day a suitable replacement will turn up

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it
'77
Closed Thread