UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 12:37 pm   #1
Ted's Dad
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony Trinitron KV-1330UB, tuning knob

Hi all

I'm completely new to all this so apologies if I'm asking daft questions here.

We've just bought a set as above and the tuning knob turns OK but the numbers on the inner dial aren't moving. I assume there are two dials which aren't engaging for whatever reason. I would expect that the dial would just pull off but it isn't coming off easily and I don't want to risk breaking anything.

If anyone can provide any advice as to what might be going on and any solutions it would be much appreciated!
Old 19th Aug 2018, 7:33 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony Trinitron KV-1330UB, tuning knob

Is it definitely not moving at all?

Usually on a rotary UHF tuner, there is a reduction gearing in operation: the outer ring has to make several turns to move the inner numbered disc around.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:29 pm   #3
Studio263
Octode

If you take the tuner apart you'll find an odd sort of reduction drive that gears the middle spindle to the outer one. This all has to work, or you can't tune the set into a picture. To make it smooth they smother the whole lot in sticky grease, so the first thing to do is to gently drip in WD40 (you need to take it apart remember - squirting it through the hole in the front won't help at all) to thin the goo a bit. This seems to work 9 times out of 10.

What about the 1? In that case, some of them have a plastic pinion on the end of the centre shaft which cracks and splits, so it won't drive any more. It's all a bit small, and covered in grease, so sticking it back together isn't easy. It can be done though, extract the shaft and the gear, clean everything and use a fine gap-filling adhesive like Araldite Precision (sparingly!). Leave it for 24 hours before trying it, no sneaky tweaks until the glue goes off...

1330s were tough but this was the first TV set in the UK with a proper switch mode power supply (forget that nasty BRC 3000 lash-up, which had a normal mains transformer and goodness knows what else in it to get it going). It was clever, but there wasn't much in the way of protection. It pays to cast a critical eye over small tubular electrolytic capacitors on the power supply panel (left hand side, viewed from the back) and the timebase panel (right hand side). The ones rated at 160V are the worst offenders, you'll often find crusty brown deposits underneath them. The pin cushion correction circuit is a good place to look for this sort of thing, at least one is usually past its best.

Another easy way to kill one of these is to adjust the horizontal hold with the set running. The PWM circuit in the power supply is locked to the line pulse, so if the oscillator stops (even briefly) the chopper transistor bites the dust, usually taking the line output, converter and pin cushion transistors with it. All are hard to find and difficult to substitute, so don't tempt fate. I mark the position of the control and with the set switched off give it a squirt with Servisol and work it back and forth a few times. The circuit is very stable; you should find that the line locks up nicely when you switch the set on again. This drill has kept me out of trouble with the sets of this type which I have.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 10:37 am   #4
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Another easy way to kill one of these is to adjust the horizontal hold with the set running. The PWM circuit in the power supply is locked to the line pulse, so if the oscillator stops (even briefly) the chopper transistor bites the dust, usually taking the line output, converter and pin cushion transistors with it. All are hard to find and difficult to substitute, so don't tempt fate. I mark the position of the control and with the set switched off give it a squirt with Servisol and work it back and forth a few times. The circuit is very stable; you should find that the line locks up nicely when you switch the set on again. This drill has kept me out of trouble with the sets of this type which I have.
Terrific advice - I have this particular Trinitron and have to play with the H Hold when playing American tapes. Will definitely mark the knob position for future times. I've already had to have it repaired once - I suspect this is what did it!
Old 20th Aug 2018, 11:31 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I found a thread by ciaoflyer [9/1/13] yesterday re the same problem but the 1330 first post seemed to disappear I was going to ask the OP if he understood the need for a modulator and/or FV Box re Broadcast Reception. I presume that's how you are getting your US tape signal in to your set via a VCR BIT?

Dave W
Old 20th Aug 2018, 12:12 pm   #6
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

The VCR hooked up to the Trinitron isn't even for NTSC tapes but plays in colour and just needs the H Hold tweaked for a good picture! It's via the RF aerial connection. Terrific TV. We have a NOW TV box connected to an HDMI to Scart modulator, hooked up to the VCR allowing us to play Youtube and subsequently vintage broadcast recordings!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_omo0tu8iG61v6dk0po1_1280.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	167868  
Old 20th Aug 2018, 8:58 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Looks great BIT. I know a number of late model VCR's are NTSC friendly but I didn't know about this method to use with a machine that isn't. No good if it blows the set but Tim's advice there should prevent that. He's a very clever chap re B+O, Sony Triniton and almost everything else He gave me a Cream KV-1400UB and that is a real style Icon in my opinion. I run it on a FV box with an RF output.

I also picked up a KV-1820UB from here in Bexhill. It's out of action at present but VERY heavy for it's size. The bloke who donated that one had it on a really high shelf up on the kitchen wall-quite perilous really. He had to warn me not to grab it without realising the weight!

Dave W
Old 20th Aug 2018, 9:19 pm   #8
Ted's Dad
Retired Dormant Member

No, it's definitely not moving.

Should the tuner just pull away from the set? As I say, I'm not too confident in what I'm doing and anxious not to break the whole thing.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 11:49 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Understandable TD. You can get more help with the mechanical bit if you are [literally] stuck but more importantly, what are you trying to do if it does move? For example have you switched the set on ? Did the screen illuminate with a raster ie snow on the screen?

It won't be possible to just tune in any TV channel as they are all Digital now [since 2009]. Without an interface of some kind, you can't just plug in a Freeview Box when there is no scart socket but that can be easily overcome. Don't worry too much about your original concern, just say why you want the TV to work! You will only need to tune in to one frequency to accommodate the feed from a digital tuner and it may even be the one it's stuck on now! Have you owned a TV in the past fed from a Video Recorder through the aerial socket? That was the norm then. Same thing here!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st Aug 2018 at 12:09 am.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 8:09 am   #10
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted's Dad View Post
No, it's definitely not moving.

Should the tuner just pull away from the set? As I say, I'm not too confident in what I'm doing and anxious not to break the whole thing.
TD, if all else fails, why not use a modulator where you can change the frequency; and change that frequency to the one it's set on?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv modulator.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	167909  
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:24 am   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes we are in agreement there BIT but as TD said he's completely new to all this, we really need to know what he's understood so far! Unfortunately, he remains "focused" on moving the dial when it might not even be necessary! Perhaps he just want's to sell it on with the dial operational? We don't

Dave W
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:41 am   #12
backintime
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Yes we are in agreement there BIT but as TD said he's completely new to all this, we really need to know what he's understood so far! Unfortunately, he remains "focused" on moving the dial when it might not even be necessary! Perhaps he just want's to sell it on with the dial operational? We don't

Dave W
Fair comment Dave!
Old 21st Aug 2018, 10:06 am   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks BIT. Looks like I missed a crucial word at the end ie "know"

Dave
Old 21st Aug 2018, 2:29 pm   #14
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I found a thread by ciaoflyer [9/1/13] yesterday re the same problem but the 1330 first post seemed to disappear
Here's the thread in question, nothing missing as far as I can see: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=92259
Old 21st Aug 2018, 2:50 pm   #15
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks for that link Bill. Apologies for confusing you there.

I was trying to say that the first post creating the Teds Dad thread seemed to disappear for a while-not the one in the 2009 link!

Dave W
Old 27th Aug 2018, 1:00 pm   #16
Ted's Dad
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone for various replies. My aim is to hook this TV up to a VHS player or an old games console via the coax/RF input. I've tried doing this with the dial in it's current position and no joy so I was hoping to be able to tune it in to the appropriate frequency.
Closed Thread