UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2018, 10:46 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Gould Advance Timer Counter TC 314

Hi folks,

A car-boot purchase, without a manual. It looks interesting but I've not powered it up yet as I'd like to know what some of the settings do. By the way, I have checked that it is set for 240V mains operation (you never can know especially with multi-mains-voltage equipment).

I've tried on the web for a downloadable .pdf of the instruction manual, or even better a service manual, but have drawn a blank so far.

Any tips please?
Old 13th Aug 2018, 8:57 pm   #2
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Gould Advance Timer Counter TC 314

TC 314. A 50 MHz counter timer. The display is built from four dual "7 segment displays. (More like 9 segment really, as there are decimal points before and after the digits. Neon (high voltage) devices and they are driven by DS8880 (I think that is the type) high voltage ICs.
It occurred to me that somebody with a bit more circuit knowledge than me could easily convert to dual red LED displays (as used by Grundig in their 8632 CTVs) and some standard 74xx devices.
The only info I have is that which I wrote myself when fixing it. One neon display unit had a blacked decimal point making it "always on".
I moved that to one end and that fixed it. (I may have needed a DS8880, and must have located one.
If anybody does have any manufactuirer's data, deal me in please.
Oh, it works well, probably does what it says on the tin, but I never saw the tin!
Les.
Old 14th Aug 2018, 12:10 pm   #3
SteveCG
Nonode

Thanks Les, it seems like I might have a long wait for info...

I powered it up yesterday and after a 'bit' of experimentation got it reading frequency on Chan A, so its a worker on what I wanted, which was frequency.
Old 20th Aug 2018, 7:17 pm   #4
factory
Octode

As there are no pictures of the TC314 on the web I can't tell how similar it may be to the earlier TC12 I have (front panel pictured below), but I have scanned the information from the manual about the various functions in the hope it may help with using your timer counter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_2050a.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	167880

Advance TC11 TC12 Counter Timer Info.pdf

David
Old 21st Aug 2018, 1:10 pm   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

Thank you very much David for the .pdf, it will make interesting reading as I hope Gould Advance had a similar 'way of working' across their different models.

I tried searching and was only able to come up with an advert (on page 11 of the Journal - not the .pdf) for the TC314 in the October 1979 edition of Wireless World, courtesy of Americanradiohistory.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...ld-1979-10.pdf

Last edited by SteveCG; 21st Aug 2018 at 1:12 pm. Reason: extra info for clarity
Closed Thread