UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jun 2018, 5:22 am   #581
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Maplin stores

Another advantage of physical shops is that they can sell things which the post refuse to carry.

Though interestingly batteries and aerosols etc seem to be handled perfectly willingly if sent by Farnell or RS. Comes down to having clout and a contract, I suppose. Odd how it changes safety-based requirements, though.

David
Old 9th Jun 2018, 7:50 am   #582
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’ve not had any problems with post. I’ve bought rocket engines, firework fuse, nasty chemicals, sharp things and all sorts. Some have to go via courier but that’s it.

One thing online sales give you over anything is distance selling regs. Some of the smaller and independent high street retailers will stone wall you if you bought a lemon and take it back. I remember having an argument about a cheaper end DVD player (back when they were very expensive) I bought from my independent AV store. It had a bug which caused it to crash and jam the DVD in it requiring a power cycle. They replaced it with another one and it did the same. Ergo this was likely a problem with the entire line. Took it back and was told that they wouldn’t swap it out again or replace it for another unit and they couldn’t help me and to get out of the shop and never come back. I had to do a chargeback in the end, after which they threatened to sue me. For a £300 sale. I wrote the guy a letter giving him a pick up window for the goods and he sent his daughter who embarrassingly apologised for him being a dick.

Whereas amazon did the same thing with a toshiba all in one TV and just gave me the money back right away and came and picked it up and discontinued the line.

I think the negative shopping experience for a lot of people on the high street has lead to the decline more than anything. Plus the general inconvenience and cost of having to wrangle getting somewhere. At least in cities, transport is seen as an inconvenience by younger generations as they don’t have car availability. A trip to the shop is a costly and time consuming venture.

If you look at the popularity of “finder” services in non western countries, this has the same effect as moving sales online. Abstraction of convenience. I’m all for it.

Going past maplin today actually in Hounslow. Will see if they are still breathing.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 8:58 am   #583
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
... With the demise of Maplin I am seriously wondering where I am going to go for odd-size lithium coin cells, SLA batteries, Servisol, battery holders, etc ...
Looks like you're within reach of the RS Components trade counters at Bermondsey and Gatwick, not that either is a very quick journey on public transport. My nearest one is Heathrow (actually Southall) so I'd have to be pretty desperate. And they're only Mon-Fri of course.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 9th Jun 2018, 9:14 am   #584
Dai Corner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
You forgot 'waiting around all day for the parcel to come'.

Seriously, I hate mail order. In general they say they will deliver between 8:00 and 18:00. So you have to wait around all day for a delivery (which often comes middle of the afternoon, but of course you can't be sure of
It's a shame RS and CPC don't do click & collect, except at their trade counters.

Perhaps it would be possible to set up an informal arrangement with a local corner shop?
Old 9th Jun 2018, 10:54 am   #585
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The idea is already becoming available - as an example "Amazon Locker" available free when you buy from them. Typically located in places like petrol-stations; the locker sends you a text when it contains something for you.
They have the advantage that petrol-stations etc are usually open 24x7 so you can collect your 'stuff' easily on your way home at night.

No need to wait in!
Old 9th Jun 2018, 11:03 am   #586
Dai Corner
Hexode

Oh yes I know, and have used them occasionally for general goods. My point was that it doesn't seem possible to click and collect electronic components from the big (or any?) distributors.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 11:20 am   #587
Radio Wrangler

The big distributors tailor their services for commercial users. It's a big improvement that they deal at all with individuals, considering how RS used to be.

David
Old 9th Jun 2018, 12:50 pm   #588
buggies
Heptode

Ordering parts from CPC, I usually try to include something which they cannot send by post. This is then delivered by UPS who have an "access point" within walking distance of my address.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/services/i...eliveries.page
Old 9th Jun 2018, 1:42 pm   #589
GrimJosef
Dekatron

That approach works for me too. UPS always deliver next day. Royal Mail hardly ever do. That said, I can end up feeling slightly guilty as an 'accessory' to CPC/Farnell's practice of sending a slightly larger than average item in an absolutely enormous box. But that's a whole different thread ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 9th Jun 2018, 2:28 pm   #590
duncanlowe
Nonode

I have had some extraordinarily stupid packaging from CPC. But it was beaten hands down when I ordered some link leads for plugging things into car radios. These are small leads about 20cm long with a USB, iPod or 3.5mm on one end and a special connector the other, so you can imagine the size of them I ordered five of each of the three types. The individual packaging is a plastic bag and a card swing tag, so really small. They were sent in a cardboard box around 500x500x150mm. Now that is bad enough, but they sent each version in its own separate box of this size. Makes CPC's waste seem 'normal'.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 2:57 pm   #591
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggies View Post
Ordering parts from CPC, I usually try to include something which they cannot send by post. This is then delivered by UPS who have an "access point" within walking distance of my address.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/services/i...eliveries.page
I keep trying that. Buy some garden canes and 5 transistors. Unfortunately they have susssed that one and send two consignments.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 3:16 pm   #592
AC/HL
Dekatron

This thread is in danger of predeceasing Maplin, please keep to what little remains of the thread subject.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 7:57 pm   #593
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Maplin now dumping stuff on the pavement, apparently.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/648394...istration/amp/
Old 9th Jun 2018, 9:21 pm   #594
Reelman
Octode

In one of our last local stores due to close on Mondays the 2 and 4 pack AAA, AA, C & D are reduced to 50p, ALL mains power supplies are £1 and the remaining plugs, sockets etc are 20p. “Lucky bags” full of obsolete bits are £5 & £10. Cable drums still £5 and £10.

However be careful, after buying a load of 20p bits and paying I discovered that they had been added up incorrectly to the tune of £28! They were none too happy at having to add them up again. I don’t blame the staff, the discount system at the till is too unwieldy.

Wished them all the best, it’s not their fault for the demise of Maplin.

Just Drakehouse left as local to me now.

Peter
Old 9th Jun 2018, 10:30 pm   #595
sortedradio
Heptode

Drakehouse Sheffield closes on Monday.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 12:09 am   #596
Reelman
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
Drakehouse Sheffield closes on Monday.

Poor devils, they told me only this week that they were remaining open.
Peter
Old 10th Jun 2018, 12:47 pm   #597
electronicskip
Nonode

Gloucester store now closed so I have been told.
Old 10th Jun 2018, 3:34 pm   #598
Reelman
Octode

Not such good bargains at Drakehouse as Doncaster and they both close tomorrow. One of the staff told me that all branches will be closed by next Sunday.

The last surviving branch in this area will be Chesterfield.

Peter
Old 10th Jun 2018, 6:38 pm   #599
TThomas
Retired Dormant Member

Chester branch closes 6pm tomorrow (Monday).
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:26 pm   #600
Oldcodger
Nonode

Nothing local to me now. However, I've just found a MAPLIN receipt in the car. Should I bin it, or keep it as an investment
Closed Thread