UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2018, 5:06 pm   #1
spaceelectronic
Triode

Default Large Capacitor

Hi All
Thought this might be a talking point. Have you every used a capacitor as large as this one before. 4000pF. 15kV?
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	167845  
Old 19th Aug 2018, 5:33 pm   #2

Default Re: Large Capacitor

At Pye we had 25kV 8uF ones, the size of a large suitcase.

Old 19th Aug 2018, 5:50 pm   #3
broadgage
Nonode

I have seen larger ones, used for power factor correction on 11Kv circuits.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 5:50 pm   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
At Pye we had 25kV 8uF ones, the size of a large suitcase.
I had one such device (ex-TV transmitter). I kept it charged from the EHT supply of an old 12V TV. It was used as an electric fence to keep the foxes from my chooks. I used to discharge it in the morning by throwing some wire at it. Occasionally the discharge would set fire to the grass. I should add that this was in the remote Australian bush...
Old 19th Aug 2018, 6:11 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

My second job involved building a bank of 1.35uF 100kV ones. If you were doing it safely then each one was a four-man lift. The bank had 24 of them in.

In the end the size of capacitors tends to reflect the amount of energy you can store in them and the fundamental technology. If I've done the sums right the OP's will store about half a joule. Merlin's will store 2500 joules. My work ones would hold 6750 joules each. They're all film caps of course.

The biggest I've got in the workshop are a few of the tiddlers in the attached pic (75mm diameter, 145mm long). 2200uF at 450V stores 220 joules or so (electrolytics store energy at higher density than film). Discharging that into the air is likely to make people in the same room drop their cuppas.

Cheers

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2200uF 450V 220J small.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	167852  
Old 19th Aug 2018, 6:37 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That's nice. In the past some of the HF ATUs I had designed for me involved ceramic/mica "doorknobs" of 300pF 20KV but their main design-issue was being able to handle the crazy circulating currents for a few seconds until the combination of switched and roller-inductors got their act together.

If you're storing it I'd seriously recommend you putting a shorting-link across it, to avoid the issue of it becoming 'hot' again through slow dielectric-recovery of old un-dissipated charge.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 6:59 pm   #7
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

When we scrapped a linac I rescued 4 caps rated at 2000pF 20Kv and passed them on to Astral Highway for his experiments.
In the circuit the caps were in series to get the required working voltage.
Malcolm
Old 19th Aug 2018, 8:49 pm   #8
spaceelectronic
Triode

We used these when manufacturing RF/HF Induction generators. I think a company called Unilator used to manufacture them.
Closed Thread