UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Aug 2018, 11:36 pm   #41
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Regulated 1.4v supply.

I found that driving a 6-0-6v mains transformer in reverse at 50Hz with a simple push-pull oscillator works fine and doesn't produce interference. I even got away with using BFY50's to drive the transformer. Probably not very efficient but it avoids all the hash. I have been through the same problems as others mention while experimenting with all sorts of step-up circuits, and finally went back to 50Hz. My circuit runs from two 6v SLA's. The HT runs from one, and the LT supply is from a separate isolated 6v SLA via a simple dropper resistor and diode limiter. So you need two batteries, but I found that running the HT and LT from one battery seemed to cross couple hum from the inverter, even though there was electrical isolation through the inverter transformer.
Alan.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 9:36 am   #42
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Regarding post #38 by Kalee20,

Those 9mm walls would have really helped.

I found it was not too difficult to filter the interference off the power in & out connections, but it was direct electromagnetic radiation from the supply that was difficult. Also I decided I wanted to house my circuit in a plastic container to keep the weight down.

The method I used to determine if the final design was ok was to use a transistor radio that tuned down to 150KHz, and placed the working circuit board directly on the radio's case to be sure there was no RF energy that could be detected. A ferrite rod based transistor radio makes a great RF sniffer tool.

It was also interesting that the base drive currents to the switching transistors, if increased above a certain threshold, resulted in the sudden generation of interference, even though for practical purposes the the collector-emitter voltages remained less than 400mV in both cases. Tuning the primary winding to control the switching transistion time also helped.

This suggests in the absensence of the required precautions I used for a switching design, or the massive thick case you used, for a bare PCB, probably a pure sine wave supply maybe at 50KHz to 100kHz would be the way to go and not worry too much about efficiency issues. This could be done with a fairly compact transformer and a push pull output stage (biased out of cross over distortion) and an OP amp sine wave generator & driver circuit.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 5:00 pm   #43
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I wonder whether you could use one of those bridge amplifier audio chips to drive the transformer in push pull, and with a careful bit of feedback introduced turn it into a 100KHz oscillator all at the same time. The thing would probably refuse to oscillate when you actually want it to. They normally only do that when you don't want it to happen!
Alan.
Old 24th Aug 2018, 5:34 pm   #44
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

That's how this one works,
http://www.la6nca.net/homebrew/kurerpower/index.htm
using a stereo amp chip.

I've not given up yet, but short on time this week and next.
If I can sort some of the ripple on the output and screen the pcb properly it could be OK.
Sam.
Closed Thread