UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2018, 9:48 pm   #41
TheGAoW
Triode

Default Re: Ferrograph series 7 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
There is the famous story of a number of the early series 7's, supplied to the BBC for the specific purpose of recording Parliament, failing acceptance tests. The whole lot went back to the factory..............
Never found Series 7 recording Parliament. In the 80s when I worked at the BBC's place at Bridge House (now replaced by Port Cullis House) there was a room full of 32 Studer B62s, a pair each of which recorded, at 7.5 ips mono, the output of the Commons, The Lords and the Committee rooms as a tag-team so as to have continuous recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama View Post
The nice thing about them is the solenoid-operated start function which made them ideal in BBC local radio stations. The FF-REW control can be fun.
Again, I never saw Ferro 7s in BBC LR (or Ferros in the BBC at all for that matter). In '89 I was in BBC LR and we had Studer B67s from when the station went on air in 1982, later replaced by A807s.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 8:43 am   #42
mole42uk
Nonode

Hope you continue to have success with the heads. I have an S7 here with a u/s replay head which seems to be made of pure unobtainium. It does use the square heads, not like yours.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 25th Aug 2018, 11:43 am   #43
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Ferrographs were seldom, if ever, used for broadcast purposes in the BBC, but many were used for recording audition tapes, continuity logging, recording off air for the monitoring service and the like. Indeed, the word "Ferrograph" passed into the parlance as meaning an audition tape. Some Logic 7s, or NEAL SP7s, found their way into local radio in places, where they acquired a ribald nickname.

For many years, Ferrograph's prime market was the MOD, where the ability to deliver some sort of performance under the most adverse conditions was paramount.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 5:55 pm   #44
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember the BBC certainly used some Ferrograph machines in local radio editing suites, at least Radio Derby's one; but either of a later vintage than this one, or modified not to require pressure pads. But there were also other makes in there, presumably for the benefit of different people with different tastes in a tape recorder that they were using for editing on. All done at 19cm/s. (7.5in/s) in local radio production; national stations may well have used 38cm/s. (15in/s.) for even easier editing and possibly better quality (though the MW/LW or FM transmission, and especially the speakers in the receiver, would be the ultimate limiting factors).
Old 25th Aug 2018, 6:28 pm   #45
Radio Wrangler

I once got interviewed by the BBC for R4 in the early 1970s at the Radio Leeds studio in the Merrion centre (Had the General Wade octagonal pub literallyvright outside their front door. Do journos have a reputation or what?) I distinctly remember a Leevers Rich machine. They said they used Uher Reports for outside work. No Ferrographs or studer/revoxes in sight.

David
Old 25th Aug 2018, 7:28 pm   #46
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I once got interviewed by the BBC for R4 in the early 1970s at the Radio Leeds studio in the Merrion centre (Had the General Wade octagonal pub literallyvright outside their front door. Do journos have a reputation or what?)
The Woodlark Inn, just across the road not far from BBC Radio Derby, was colloquially known as "Studio Five" -- as in, -- Has' seen John anywhere?
-- I think you've missed him; he'll probably be in Studio 5 till about three now! There was even a very nicely made fake "BBC Radio Derby Studio Five" sign in the bar, with the correct BBC logo and the same typeface they used on internal signage.

I'm not sure if the now-demolished Ram Inn (next door to the Woodlark) was ever known as "Studio Four", as there was a bit of the old Exclusive-OR thing going on with regard to the two pubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
They said they used Uher Reports for outside work. No Ferrographs or studer/revoxes in sight.
They used Uher 4000 Report L machines, modified only to run at 19cm/s. speed and with a 6.3 B-gauge jack for headphones. These machines were eventually replaced with 3-head "4000 Report Monitor" machines; again modified to run on only one speed and with the automatic recording level disabled, though y he headphone jack provided on these later machines was compatible with BBC 'phones.
Old 25th Aug 2018, 8:09 pm   #47
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
I remember the BBC certainly used some Ferrograph machines in local radio editing suites, at least Radio Derby's one; but either of a later vintage than this one, or modified not to require pressure pads.
These would probably have been the NEAL SP7, a badged Ferro Logic Seven with simplified amplifier controls. All sorts got used for editing in LR until the B67s became almost universal - it survived largely on BH throwouts in its early years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
All done at 19cm/s. (7.5in/s) in local radio production; national stations may well have used 38cm/s. (15in/s.) for even easier editing and possibly better quality (though the MW/LW or FM transmission, and especially the speakers in the receiver, would be the ultimate limiting factors).
As a rule, speech and simple output were at 19, to save on tape and dubbing up from Uher originals, complex stuff and music sometimes 38. Network programmes were nearly always at 38. Production frequently involved multiple tape generations, and the higher tape speed eased maintenance problems considerably.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 10:56 am   #48
MikeCross
Tetrode

If you can't beat them join them.
Has anyone seen a series 77 Ferrograph?
I believe this was their last recorder which was a Revox B77 with Ferrograph balanced input and output boards. A last attempt to stay in the reel to reel world.
Not that many were produced but I have one, which until recently was in weekly use.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 11:23 am   #49
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

And then the PR99 came along...game over.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 11:59 am   #50
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCross View Post
If you can't beat them join them.
I believe this was their last recorder which was a Revox B77 with Ferrograph balanced input and output boards. A last attempt to stay in the reel to reel world.
Not that many were produced but I have one, which until recently was in weekly use.
Nice . I`ve not seen one in the flesh but they look pretty cool looking at pics on here .
Old 26th Aug 2018, 12:15 pm   #51
barrymagrec
Octode

Did anyone have dealings with the Ferrograph Studio 8? I`m fairly sure it was designed at the Wayne Kerr works in New Malden, no idea where they were built although I think very few were.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 12:33 pm   #52
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

No but I would love to find one I dont need to sell the kids to buy , .lol

That and a tandberg 20a . both amazing machines.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 1:44 pm   #53
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Ferro 8s weren't thick on the ground to start with and didn't get off it commercially - if there are a dozen examples extant I'd be surprised. All the bulk and weight of an A80 and less of the performance.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 1:49 pm   #54
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Do you by any chance like revox machines ??
Old 26th Aug 2018, 2:15 pm   #55
BillDWVA
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCross View Post
There was one for sale recently and from the ‘bidding frenzy’ that broke out there must have been some who knew that it was possibly fairly rare. I wonder if anyone on here bought it?

Bill
Old 26th Aug 2018, 5:44 pm   #56
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
Hope you continue to have success with the heads. I have an S7 here with a u/s replay head which seems to be made of pure unobtainium. It does use the square heads, not like yours.
Have been watching this thread with interest!
I have several working Ferrographs, including a S7, which I purchased second-hand, still with a year's warranty on it. I have to say this was many years ago.
I've also had Revox machines, and still have a B77, - I'm addicted to both.

I used to service all of these at some point in my diverse career in Broadcast TV & audio.

I may have a spare S7 square unobtanium head here, - do you have a part number? I can then check to see if I have one.

David.
Old 26th Aug 2018, 7:03 pm   #57
Reelman
Octode

Well actually I am lucky enough to have a Studio 8. It came from a local radio station via eBay a number of years ago. Came with the service manual which had loads of tips and tricks pencilled in the margins. Since i have hardly used it it will be for sale in due course. First I must find the manuals and the spare electronics that came with it!

It will be strictly collect only as it is very heavy.

Peter
Old 26th Aug 2018, 9:53 pm   #58
Robstan234
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Ferrograph series 7 .

Hi Peter, when you come to sell it I would be interested and happy to collect, I live in Stoke-on-Trent so not a long run to you.
Rob
Old 27th Aug 2018, 10:01 am   #59
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

I have decided (because I`m waiting on caps for the philips ) that today is ferrograph day . Time to open her up and see what makes her tick . Its been locked in a shed for 20 years so i`m expecting filth , filth and more filth ..lol
Old 27th Aug 2018, 5:24 pm   #60
AC/HL
Dekatron

Continued here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=149249
Closed Thread