UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:03 pm   #1
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Wd40!

Hello.

Since I have been on this forum there has been many references to WD40, it's pro's and con's. I would for one like to make my contribution.
We all know the WD40 has been around for many a long year and it has many uses from cleaning, penetrating, lubrication to many odd things like even easing joint pain believe it or not!

WD40 is available in aerosols and in bulk often seen in motor factors in 5 litre plastic containers. It is a simple mix of light oil and a solvent with some other chemicals (in very small quantities) added.

I have used it for nearly 40 years in my job as a Radio & TV engineer, and with my hobbies, cars, vintage Radio etc. I use it on HT leads on the car, plugs and sockets, switches and anywhere that moisture can be a problem.

On Radio & TV it is good around EHT connectors cleaning off dirt that can arc and also it leaves an insulating film, I clean controls with it as it loosens off hardened lubricant cleans the track and leaves a light coat of lubricant once the solvent has evaporated. I also find it good on switches for the same reason. I use it on valve pins and bases, I clean record player mechanisms with it and use it to remove hardened grease on them too, although I re-lubricate them with oil or soft grease where specified.

Now it's not all good news, some hard plastics can gradually crack and decompose with WD40, but that comes with trial and error, also very fine mechanical items like clocks and the insides of VCR's should never be "attacked" with WD40.

I am sure others will have used WD40 and have their experiences using it.
I find it an invaluable tool and would never be without it, used properly in the correct places it will save you time and money and being honest really shouldn't be dismissed as much as it is here.

Last edited by murphyv310; 23rd Sep 2010 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Corrected typo's
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:18 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Wd40!

Thanks Trevor you have said what i have been thinking for a while , I use WD40 and servisol in my restoration projects with no adverse results. regards Mick.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:20 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Some people really dislike WD40, but the real problem is inappropriate and excessive use. It isn't primarily a lubricant and shouldn't be used as such, and when it evaporates it leaves an oily deposit which attracts all sorts of dust and other crud.

I do find it particularly good for potentiometer tracks where it seems to work much better than Servisol. It's also a good general cleaner for waxy and oily deposits, though it should be wiped off rather than being allowed to dry and should be used sparingly.

It should be kept well away from drive belts and idlers, and also any lubricated moving parts as it will disrupt the lubrication.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:27 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi Paul.
It certainly is no worse than any other lubricant for getting contaminated by dust and crud, WD40 does not attract the dust and dirt it just gets coagulated by it.
I certainly fully agree that it should NEVER be anywhere near idlers or belts nor should you rely on it for long term lubrication, always use the correct oil or grease.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:40 pm   #5
Steve_P
Dekatron

I'm really the same. I try servisol first on stuck parts and very dirty pots. If servisol does not work, I then reach for the can of WD40.

But never allow it near rubber parts of any kind, or belts.

It's also good for cleaning glass if it's really bad. Or tiles in the bathroom once.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:45 pm   #6
The General
Hexode

Like Paul, I've also found WD-40 to be quite good for potentiometers, also I've had success using it on troublesome wavechange switches as long as it's used sparingly & the dust is cleaned off first.

I believe the main ingredient of WD-40 is fish oil, also the odour is artificially added.

When I bought my Dodge, the tape player didn't work - I soon found that someone in the past had tried to 'fix' it by spraying about half a can of WD-40 through the tape flap. New radio required.....

Mark.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:51 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Some people really dislike WD40, but the real problem is inappropriate and excessive use.

It should be kept well away from drive belts and idlers, and also any lubricated moving parts as it will disrupt the lubrication.
That's exactly it Paul! One of the reasons I shuddered when I heard someone say (in connection with a jammed VCR), 'The cassette got stuck so I used WD40 to try and get it out'....Aaaaarghhhhhh!! The trouble that stuff caused with inappropriate use..... For many years I had a 'thing' against WD40 for that reason firmly believing it should be confined to the garage and never let loose near anything remotely electrical.

Like many other things, it's fine when used appropriately and in the right places.

SB
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 8:54 pm   #8
Radio_Dave
Nonode

It's the "jack of all trades" image that puts me off taking it seriously. IIRC there's even some bloke who claimed it cured his arthritis, although the manufactures don't recommend it being used for that purpose.

I also remember my sons cycle brakes being spayed with the stuff (with obvious results) because his friends had watched a TV advert recommending it's use to stop squeaks

The thing I ever found it useful for was on the, wet, distributor cap of an old Mini I once had

.... Oh, and I hate the smell!

David
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:08 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

I use contact cleaner for switches and valve bases- but that's only because I was given two bottles of the stuff. I know of plenty of others using WD40 (one forum member called me posh for using contact cleaner! ) and would use it myself if it didn't live in my dad's workshop.

WD40 is also especially useful for getting wasps out of the workshop and spraying in cobwebs, it doesn't hurt Mr Huge Spider (don't mind the little 'uns) but it does make him run away, usually in the direction of the door...then into the safe haven of the garden where one of the chickens will eat him!

Let's not forget the number of times it's released a stuck fast nut or screw, something very handy in radio (and vehicle) restoration. Useful in all my hobbies!
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:10 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikevalvesme View Post
I believe the main ingredient of WD-40 is fish oil, also the odour is artificially added.
Sorry Mark, but this is a longstanding urban myth. The main ingredient is white spirit (what Americans call 'Stoddard solvent') with some mineral oil. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40.

Paul
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:15 pm   #11
murphyv310
Dekatron

A Doctor friend of mine told me that some people get relief from joint pain by spraying the effected area in WD40
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:15 pm   #12
McMurdo
Dekatron

Another use is removing sticky labels that won't otherwise budge; its kinder to cabinets than most other solvents. It is also great at removing tar from paintwork.

I've seen it creep inside relays and then it's insulating properties become annoying!
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:19 pm   #13
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I think that, until a few years ago, most people used WD40 for sensible things (water displacement, rust penetration etc). Then, IIRC, they ran a competition inviting ideas for additional uses, at which point a variety of rather optimistic suggestions entered the public domain. Unfortunately, a proportion of the poulation failed to take the necessary pinch of salt with these
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:23 pm   #14
ajs37
Heptode

I'm not convinced about its lubricating abilities - try it on a stiff car aerial - it works for about 2 weeks, then it jams up again! When something needs lubricating, use the proper stuff - oil or grease.

When it was introduced (a long time ago I seem to remember!), its big selling point was that it was great at dispelling water from around the distributor cap / spark plug leads - which it was (and still is) - I won't trust it as a lubricant though!
Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:25 pm   #15
reelguy
Heptode

WD40 is good for removing labels from washing machine doors etc.
But it was no good when my daughter used it on the rear door lock on her laguna. Worked ok to start with but dried up in no time as it evaporated .
I never us it on reel recorders ,Far to precious .
Not keen on 3 in one oil either !.
Just my opinion.
Peter W.... Reelguy
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:29 pm   #16
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
I'm not convinced about its lubricating abilities
It is not a permanent lubricant. The original idea was that the fluid could be sprayed over a large surface. The white spirit would then evaporate over the next few weeks leaving a very thin coating of viscous mineral oil which would prevent corrosion. All the other uses have been dreamt up afterwards, using incidental effects of the original formulation.

The oil deposit doesn't seem to have a negative effect on pot carbon tracks. Presumably the wiper ploughs a track through it.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:33 pm   #17
amp_mangler
Retired Dormant Member

I agree with all the above . One thing its absolutely superb for is to clean 75 year old Oak switches !!
for pot tracks I use RP7, sort of the same but has a very small amount of silicon, I find it far better on pot tracks and switch shafts/bushes, as that tiny bit of silicon stays "wet".

Joe
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:35 pm   #18
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Interestingly, the manufaturers claim 'It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic', going on to say that it's unsuitable for polycarbonate and clear polystyrene. I wonder what long-term tests they've carried out to arrive at that conclusion.
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 10:06 pm   #19
evingar
Octode

Only 2 uses I have ever found for it are :-

Periodically un-jamming a Pug 106 ignition barrel (yes, I probably should have changed it !) and cleaning the glass solder collecting tube and metal strip in an electric "solder sucker". It is doubly useful in this application becuase it stops flux deposits and solder sticking both components and makes cleaning much easier.

I've never used it near anything electronic. Contray to a lot of people though, I quite like the smell
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 10:18 pm   #20
ajs37
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs37 View Post
I'm not convinced about its lubricating abilities
It is not a permanent lubricant.
yep - that's what I have been saying for years on the Mercedes Club forum - especially when people are puzzled as to why things don't stay lubricated when they use it!!
Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread