UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2005, 3:06 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Ferrograph 100 YD

I recently brought this recorder

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I offered the guy a price which he accepted to end the auction early. The machine is a Ferrograph 100 YD machine from 1948! turns out its the first Ferrograph recorder manufactured. Although this is the same age or possibly older than a Sound Mirror the recorder was never launched on the domestic market as the MOD wouldn't allow it. The recorder was brought as none working and on a close inspection inside there are some parts missing. One of them is the obvious one, a large capacitor, the second not so obvious is a tape head connector. Does anyone have a Circuit diagram for one of these machines? possibly a original capacitor? the caps next to the missing one are 16mf @ 550V.

Old 18th Mar 2005, 6:43 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Ferrograph 100 YD

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man
I offered the guy a price which he accepted to end the auction early.
That is in breach of eBay rules, and could be considered foolish to admit in public.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th Mar 2005, 3:21 am   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'll confess I'm glad the machine has gone to a good home, irrespective of how it found its way there...

I'm not so sure about any intervention by the military to keep it from the domestic market. In the metal-cased form the machine would have had little appeal to private buyers, but it does appear to have much in common with my 1948 Model D ( see "History" or "Model D" sections at http://www.ferrograph.info/ ).

A few weeks ago I found a website offering (though currently out of stock) a CD-ROM containing "all" Ferrograph service manuals, certainly including the Model D, but I can't seem to find it now. I wonder whether a can really has gone missing, or whether a place was provided and never filled - the two that remain somehow seem likely to provide smoothing enough for most requirements! The amplifier does look very similar to that of the Model D from what I remember of it, so I'll take a look in there when I can and report on findings, if full information hasn't come your way before then. I'm fairly sure the domestic version has a bigger, probably 8", loudspeaker, and doubtless input/output arrangements differ, but maybe not much else will.

Paul
Old 19th Mar 2005, 9:22 am   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I spoke with George West who sent me the following information

--------------------------------------------------------------

S/n of 4000 must be at least 48/49, they made a lot of these for the army, navy and air force, and in fact were unable to sell on the domestic market until much later due to government restrictions and instructions to sell what production was left after supplying the army etc overseas in order to generate currency.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Something else he mentions

Although generally a two speed machine, a three speed version was available on these "YD" models, using just one idler wheel, and a simpler speed change mechanism.

This recorder I have I thought had a speed control under the take up reel, it turns out this small leaver was to engage and disengage the capstan motor to the flywheel.

Old 19th Mar 2005, 1:41 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I just took a glance at my model D, and the serial number is 682, which of course may be in a completely different series, but that amplifier chassis in your machine does look remarkably familiar. The authorities seem to conflict, as I don't expect the D would have been sold to the military at all, and I very much doubt this one's ever been abroad.

Paul
Old 20th Mar 2005, 7:33 pm   #6
terry123
Pentode

Hi all

I tend to disagree with some of the observations made in relation to the Ferro 100. The model shown is not as early as 1948 most probably 1949 onwards. The D series date from 1950/51 onwards the differences are cosmetic with standard equalisation and inputs etc for the period. (if you are lucky you may find one or two caps dated underneath the chassis and on the D this is accessed by the removable flap) The archive material I have would not suggest the D was made any earlier also confirmed in one of my interviews with a former employee. Generally the D was supplied in a black or cream Rexene upright wooden cabinet. A deluxe polished wood cabinet was also available. The first model generally made for the military was the G100 the next series were YD, which appears to be the one shown in the picture. There does appear to be a cap missing in the machine. Also the equalisation on these military versions differs from the domestic models and is selected from the additional knob marked A to F. The recorders are designed to record morse, RTTY and other strange noises and you will also find that they have non-standard inputs and outputs. For that reason they are totally unsuitable for domestic audio use without modification first. When ferrograph first showed their wearite deck at Olympia in 1949 there was a lot of interest from the public, but little in the way of sales due to cost and the fact that the public could barely afford a new radio let alone a tv or tape recorder. Incidentally Ferrograph also demonstrated stereo at the same exhibition. There is no evidence to suggest that the military stalled sales moreover the austerity of the period.

How do I know all this? Well I am currently writing a book on the history of the company. The CD that was mentioned is also produced by me and does contain the full manuals for all of these models.

The YD series are quite common and I have seen several in recent years at rallies. I have of course all of the differant flavors in these models. The speed was changed by lifting the speed change knob up a notch and then locking it off. All my machines have one idler which when moved up, or down a stepped brass idler on the capstan motor facilitates a change in speed. The track sense is standard (unlike the early Truvox and Grundig Decks)

Regards

Terry Martini

BVWS Comm.

Also the author of "Built like a Battleship" the Story of Ferrograph to be published in 2006
Old 20th Mar 2005, 9:49 pm   #7
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Thank you for the info, my info came from George West who I have no reason to doubt as he has spent allot of time on the Ferrograph history, or so I believe. You are quite correct, there is a capacitor missing as stated in the first post, also thank you for pointing out the speed selector, that is quite unusual.

George west has a picture of a Ferrograph pre 100 and 100YD, if you click on his links on the left hand side (MODEL D) he shows a picture of a Ferrograph which looks like an early Soundmirror with the heads running vertical instead of horizontal.

http://www.ferrograph.info/

Also on his site under "SERIES 2-6" he has a picture of a G100 YD which has a SN of only 0018 owned by Bob Marriott, I think with the expertise Terry123 is showing these two guru's should speak to each other

Last edited by reel-to-reel-man; 20th Mar 2005 at 9:55 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2005, 10:15 pm   #8
terry123
Pentode

I know both well and have done for some years. The machine mentioned is the prototype ferrograph, and according to factory sources never made in quantity.

regards

Terry Martini
Old 3rd Apr 2005, 2:11 pm   #9
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I now have a new problem with this recorder. I have soldered in the new old capacitors and have taken other spares from a vortexion, the 100YD is now complete inside but I don't have a mains cable I have attached a picture of the connector, I have been told it's a standard military style socket but its the first one I have ever seen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plug.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	426  
Old 4th Apr 2005, 8:43 am   #10
terry123
Pentode

Yes this is a plessey connector found on a lot of military intended equipment from the period.

Quite hard to find, but occasionally turn up in junk boxes at the rallies - which is where I found mine originally.

regards

Terry Martini
Closed Thread