UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:36 am   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Compressor purchase

I'm buying a compressor mainly the purpose of blowing out dust from sets. That may seem a tad extravagant, but other methods just don't have the brute power and effectiveness of compressed air. I've tried them all and I'm fed up of it (heavy dust deposits in hard to get at corners) being a perennial problem. Anyway.. I may also use the unit for very occasional other jobs, mainly just a bit of spraying, I can't think what else I'd use it for as I have mains and battery powered power tools already.

I don't want one that is too small and operates from 12v (they're mainly tyre inflaters) and I'm not interested in larger petrol powered ones. So, 240V it is, and kinda 'large hobby size'.

What's your experiences and advice? here's 'mine' and it costs just £80 from Screwfix: https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-om2...ails_container
Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:55 am   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Compressor purchase

My IMPAX inverter-generator is Chinese manufacture, so i am imagining this compressor will be also.

No problems with my generator, the only potential future glitch is lack of availability of spare parts- although with a compressor i would hope you won't need any for some time...My only recommendation if you get it would be to give it a bit of a soak test early on whilst still well in guarantee; customer ratings (with the generator at least) seemed to indicate vast majority of problems manifest immediately- you either get a good one or a bad one.

Screwfix reviews give the impression of being honest and un-filtered (to me at least)

Dave
Old 9th Feb 2018, 11:27 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Dave, good points you make. Yeah, a reviewer says it's very noisy. That doesn't bother me at all. I'll be using it outdoors to blow away dust for a couple of minutes, plus for 40 years in bands I've been exposed to hundreds of valve powered watts behind me on cramped enclosed stages - ain't saying it's right, but it's nothing compared to the chug-chugging of a compressor outdoors for a couple of minutes. Thanks.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 11:56 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Steve,

Going back to this older thread, have you gone off your electric blower?
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=134770

I splashed out on the mains-powered version recommended in post 16 and absolutely love it. Great for old radios, PCs, vacuum cleaners, pleated lampshades, grubby power tools before putting them away, and so on.

I use it with the slightly tapering wide nozzle, but not any of the other supplied accessories. An old paintbrush is the only other thing I need to assist with stubborn dust.

N.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:16 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'm just looking for something with much more 'blow' power. That battery powered unit I bought will still have it its 'local' uses, but for a major, 'as found', filthy dirty set 'blow out' I want a tool to do the job with ease. Yes I use a paint brush too for removing accumulated dust in tiny corners etc with my battery powered blower. Your purchase looks a darn good unit, while the compressor I'm looking at will do other things should I ever need to (a bit of cabinet spraying) for a tad less money. Horses for courses.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:25 pm   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

You really need a garage type compressor to do a proper job, something around 100 psi and 5+ cfm. I have an extremely old one, it was possibly prewar, I've had it since the '60s, its had about 3 replacement compressors and and as many motors (triggers broom), I have used it a lot for car spraying over the years but from the '70s on mostly for blowing the dust from ex Granada TV's and sets in for repair of course and it was very effective.

There are a number of cheap garage type compressors available or you me be able to find a secondhand one on ebay.

Peter
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:34 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

You say 100 psi, the one I'm looking at is 145 psi. It doesn't state the cfm, but it is 24 litres capacity. For blowing out purposes I doubt very much if I'll 'exhaust it', it will be used in short blasts for a relatively short overall time period.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:35 pm   #8
bluepilot
Heptode

Once you've got a decent compressor you'll find more and more uses for it. For example you may decide to buy some compressed air tools such as a thing for removing wheel nuts on the car. The important thing with any compressor is how much air it outputs. Don't confuse that with how much air it draws in. Decide what you're likely to use it for and make sure the one you buy can provide enough air. Then everything should be OK. Don't expect to be able to use it for sand blasting.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 9th Feb 2018, 12:59 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

I'm looking at this as a 'powerful blower' that I may very occasionally use for other jobs, rather than a 'powerful, multi-purpose compressor' with enough umph to do 'power thirsty' jobs with, and that costs more than I want to spend on a 'blower' or want to own or house because of its bigger size, extra weight etc. I remove car wheels once in a blue moon (years) and when I do I use a wrench, I have an arsenal of high quality rechargeable power tools for pretty much everything that I want to do, that's it really!

But I do 'get' the point; don't buy something too small and wish you'd bought bigger afterwards. It's just that I'm pretty sure I don't need another 'power tool', rather, a powerful blower.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 1:36 pm   #10
chriswood1900
Octode

I would not be without my compressor, I bought it originally for car work but now I always use it for blowing out old sets, just make sure you are able to catch the bits and labels that also fly out.
I use the spray gun for paintwork, a nibbler for cutting out chassis holes on projects, a small grit blaster for chassis cleaning as well as all the usual car bits like inflating tyres.
Get yourself an extended reach blow out key to get into tight places and one of the 5 in one tools sets are well worth buying as well as a decent length of hose the small curly ones are never long enough and neither is the mains lead!
Mine was a Machine Mart one from about 10years ago only thing to fail was the motor start cap, an easy swap. One thing to watch is that the lubricant seems to get thick in very cold weather so in a freezing workshop it can be slow to get started.
Good luck
Chris
Old 9th Feb 2018, 1:43 pm   #11
chriswood1900
Octode

Thinking further a couple of other things, remember to budget for several quick release connectors male and female, like below otherwise you will be missing around every time you want to swap tools.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-aca25...e-thread/5763h
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-ac71c...e-thread/7423h
This is the blow out key I mentioned.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-bg5002-blow-gun/7432h
Chris
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:21 pm   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Chris, good advice it seems.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:39 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

I bought my father the 2 horsepower version of that 24 litre direct drive compressor seen on the screwfix page. It's been with my nephew for the past couple of years. It's noisy, certainly, but there is enough air output to run a blow gun easily and it also manages my plasma cutter when I take it down there. There's easily enough air for a proper spray gun for plenty of time to re-varnish a cabinet. Easily carried.

Completely satisfactory
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:54 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks RW. The Impax one I'm considering is also 2HP/24 litre, so good to know first hand what it will do.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 3:10 pm   #15
orbanp1
Heptode

Hi Steve,

I bought something similar a number of years ago, a cheap Chinese made compressor with a 4-gal air tank.
While "everything" is there, the quality could be hit and miss, at least it was on mine.
The compressor did work when I took it home.
Next year, when I needed it, it did not start. The centrifugal starting switch did not give contact. Luckily, I could take it apart and clean it.
The year after that when I needed it again, it did not start. That time it was the over-temperature switch on the motor. Again, I could disassemble and clean the switch.
It has been working reliably ever since.
Not sure what was the reason for the failures, I have been keeping the compressor in the garage, not damp, but unheated.

Also, do verify the statement that the compressor indeed has "Oil-Free Lubrication"!
Piston type compressors (I assume that is what yours would be), just like piston engines, do need lubrication of the crankshaft bearings and piston rings for them not to seize.
My compressor was advertised similarly with "Oil-Free Lubrication", but the compressor crankcase has a transparent oil level sight and and an oil fill cap.
I did put oil in it, the crankcase was empty of oil when delivered.
In any event, do investigate!

Good luck, Peter

Last edited by orbanp1; 9th Feb 2018 at 3:18 pm.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 3:22 pm   #16
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
With a 2hp motor and 7.8cfm (222L/m) it is quite a powerful compressor, though probably not quite up to spraying a car, it should do for what you want.
It says it is an oil free compressor so you don't need an oil separator but they tend to wear quicker than oil lubricated ones.
With a 24L air tank it could take a couple of minutes to reach full pressure with occasional use.
Don't forget that you need blow the water (condensation) out of the tank (there should be a valve at the bottom) regularly
I would advise you to use a face shield or safety goggles if using a blow gun, as at 145psi it is surprising what can come flying back at you especially if you blow into a blind corner.
Yours, Richard
Old 9th Feb 2018, 4:35 pm   #17
Panrock
Nonode

I haven't checked through the links given here, but I obtained a 'cheap' compressor from Screwfix in 2003 to equip my (at the time) new workshop.

It proved great, and was used for cellulosing numerous cabinets over the years. It finally expired in 2017, when the pressure vessel suffered a pinhole from years of rusty water accumulating inside.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 5:22 pm   #18
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I'm looking at this as a 'powerful blower' that I may very occasionally use for other jobs, rather than a 'powerful, multi-purpose compressor' with enough umph to do 'power thirsty' jobs with, and that costs more than I want to spend on a 'blower' or want to own or house because of its bigger size, extra weight etc. I remove car wheels once in a blue moon (years) and when I do I use a wrench, I have an arsenal of high quality rechargeable power tools for pretty much everything that I want to do, that's it really!

But I do 'get' the point; don't buy something too small and wish you'd bought bigger afterwards. It's just that I'm pretty sure I don't need another 'power tool', rather, a powerful blower.
Ah - you say that now, but air tools are even more addictive than hand tools. You'll soon find a multitude of uses for your compressor, and wonder how you managed without it!
Be aware that there are a few different quick-release coupling standards, so you'll need to decide which to standardise on. Also, take into account losses through a long airline if you intend using one, and go for a larger bore if in doubt.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 8:36 pm   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks again guys for all your much valued, very useful input, all noted, thanks.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 8:38 pm   #20
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a Clarke general purpose compressor in 1986. It is still going strong!

It's good for 200psi which covers everything from blowing the muck out of sets to spraying cars although physically it's not big at all.

I had one occasion where it kept shutting down and starting up. A Clarke engineer talked me through cleaning a valve out over the 'phone to put it right (no charge).

Fittings are all quick fit too.

Highly reccomended
Closed Thread