UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2017, 1:06 pm   #1
BillyTheKid
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp VZ-3000 Restored

Hi All,

I just wanted to put an update here regarding the restoration of my VZ-3000. I got a huge amount of help on this post and just wanted to give a follow up. I had to put the project on hold for the summer as I was moving house and super busy with work..

I never did get the Amp fixed. However, I did see a battered VZ-3000 on ebay for £30. I bought it in the hope it would have OK internals and it wasn't too bad. The tape and record player units were mangled but those are pretty much the only working parts of the original.

After stripping it down I took the tape drive unit and the record playing unit from my original machine and mounted them in the new frame. Then I took the cover from the original and replaced a few damaged buttons, put it all back together and it works pretty much perfectly!
I don't have the original speakers(Using the VZ-3500) for now but will keep an eye out for them on ebay. The sound is good but not great on these speakers but very nice when I plug them into my modern speakers via headphone out. Both sides play very nicely. One thing that worried me was that the right channel on side B was initially low but that was when testing with one speaker plugged in and plugging it between them. Once I eventually tried both speakers plugged in at the same time the issue went away. Pitty it took me 2 months to figure that out...

Anyhow, thanks so much to all you helpful people!
I've attached some pics below of the end result, let me know what you guys think.
Also, if anyone need parts for this machine I've held onto a lot of them. I also have a VZ-3500 that is also now working and I'll probably chuck it up on ebay once I've repaired the speakers for it so will post something here when I do.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vz3k1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	150587   Click image for larger version

Name:	vz3k2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	150588   Click image for larger version

Name:	vz3k.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	150589  
Old 11th Oct 2017, 4:31 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp VZ-3000 Restored

Gosh, you've done well to persevere with this. Not an easy thing to work on and certainly not designed for easy servicing! Your speakers are not in optimal positions, but I can see why you've arranged them as you have.