UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2017, 7:50 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Pye BB using PCL83

Hi Gents, a little mystery for you.

I have one of these amps on the bench at present, it has been the victim of the phantom so I'm trying to sort it.

The mains transformer appears to have an extra CT winding that gives about 60-0-60V out.
When I examine the Pye circuit I got from Savoy Hill many years ago, it is shown there and I had not noticed it before.
I have also re-wound these mains transformers that were not fitted with this extra winding.

Serial number is F879349.
The circuit clearly shows this extra winding in the top RH side, CT earthed and outer ends going to points A & B. There are no points A & B shown on the circuit.

The dual voltage heater winding is also shown, but this goes to H & H.

Any ideas ?

Ed
Old 8th Oct 2017, 8:16 am   #2
peter_sol
Octode

Default Re: Pye BB using PCL83

Pye were clearly using up spare stock by using EL42 and PCL83 valves, so possibly those mains transformers were cluttering up their stores as well.
Old 8th Oct 2017, 9:25 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye BB using PCL83

Not so much excess stock, but more to do with using plentful supplies of TV valves and car radio output valves.