UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2018, 9:43 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Heating Bulbs

When my Mum was a student some 50 years ago one of her fellow students had a high powered lightbulb of I'm guessing 150-200 watts.

This was a way to heat his room while taking advantage the "no charge for lighting" rule.

Their landlady confiscated it a few times when he left it in the fitting in his room!
Old 25th Jan 2018, 9:49 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Heating Bulbs

They are still remarkably common as the heaters in American hotel bathrooms, but with a clockwork timer so you don't leave it on. Hateful things / places.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 9:54 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
When my Mum was a student some 50 years ago one of her fellow students had a high powered lightbulb of I'm guessing 150-200 watts.
Like an incubator lamp? We used them to keep the mercury vapourised in the 26kV HT ignitron crowbars on the Marconi B6126 300kW HF transmitters at Skelton.

I remember when I was a kid, my mam had one of those infra-red 'heat lamps'. I recall it having a three-pronged bayonet connection so it wouldn't fit anywhere else. It had red glass though, so no good for lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignilamp.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	156147  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:10 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Still widely used in the agricultural and veterinary worlds, as a way to provide warmth to lambs/calves/chicks/kittens/puppies.

Random example: http://www.tannertrading.co.uk/lambi...t-lamps-bulbs/

I also remember from my student-digs days the "bathroom lamp" fitments which had a 100W bulb in a 'globe' in the centre and a 500-750W heater [coiled element inside a ceramic tube] round the outside, with a pull-cord that controlled both.

One pull - light. Two pulls - light and heat.

Yes, they ran off a 5-amp fused lighting circuit.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:14 pm   #5
dglcomp
Heptode

My gran still has one of them or something similar in her kitchen will get pictures when I'm next there, not used now she has central heating but no point in replacing esp. as it has a normal light switch anyway and it just get left on 'light'.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:36 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The red ones are of course can still commonly be found in the Philips Infraphil and similar therapeutic lamps. I have one which I use for drying paint and such.
My grandmother had one of the bathroom fittings - a 'luxury' version with two 250W lamps, all suspended from a standard BC batten holder.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 10:47 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

our local car bodyshop uses infrared lamps for drying paint.
My mum had the philips infrared heat lamp for her bad back, in a swivel stand. I once saw it on the coffee table and went over to play with it, not realizing she'd just had it on, and it was still hot.
Anyone who's slid a teatray along a self-serve cafe will have seen them over the pies!
We had the white-light ones for the chicks at home.

You can also get black-heat lamps that dont give out any light but look like a par lamp. I built a few devices for a breeder of fancy hens which would detect the current in the heat lamps and switch from a main to a backup if the main lamp stopped taking current, and put on a warning light in the henhouse. If the lamps blow in the night you wake up to a flock of dead chicks.
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:00 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I built a home made heated propagator using a 15W pygmy bulb for heat. It has a switched series diode to reduce the heat output on warm days. Germinates the tomato seeds a treat
Old 25th Jan 2018, 11:12 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

A house I used to live in had one of those bathroom heaters. Even with 750 watts for the heater and 60 for the light, it would leave 390 watts available with a 5A fuse or MCB.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 12:39 am   #10
emeritus
Dekatron

I got one of those bathroom lamps from Argos for my late mother in the early 1970's , but the heater got little use once the council had installed central heating some 20 years later. As supplied it had 4 switching actions on consecutive pulls: off; light on; heat and light on; heat on; and back to off. After a number of occurrences of the heater having been left on inadvertently, I rewired the switch so that the original LIGHT contacts were connected directly to the looped lighting circuit and controlled the heater, the light being connected to the original bathroom switch.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 2:11 am   #11
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

To prevent the water points freezing on our moorings I installed a 60w BC lamp in a tin can, controlled by a 5 degree stat and a fuse in every cubicle, so far it has worked.
We used PAR lamps for paint drying in the body shop, an advantage is that you can see even the smallest blemish with that much light.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:39 am   #12
broadgage
Nonode

I still use an E27 300 watt clear heat lamp in my bathroom, they are less popular than in the past but replacements are readily available.

I have also a 100 watt red version suspended over the cat basket. Cats enjoy warmth, especially radiant warmth. It is lit each night on a time switch so as to make best use of off peak electricity, and to provide comfort for the cat without making him over dependant on artificial heat.
If going out all day in cold weather and therefore not lighting the wood burning stove, then I leave the infra red lamp on all day.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:09 am   #13
Brigham
Octode

The 75 watt carbon filament lamps I use at home and at work are from an agricultural supplier, and are packed in cardboard rolls marked 'carbon heater'.
They are indistinguishable from the later-type carbon bulbs, the sort with the pip inside the cap.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 10:53 am   #14
peter_scott
Dekatron

There are also the types used in early electric fires.

http://lowres-picturecabinet.com.s3-...n/21/99874.jpg

Peter
Old 26th Jan 2018, 3:06 pm   #15
Rubberfingers
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
I have also a 100 watt red version suspended over the cat basket. Cats enjoy warmth, especially radiant warmth.
Pictures please, for all the cat lovers on this forum!
Old 26th Jan 2018, 6:46 pm   #16
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I seem to remember a yellow moulded casing suspended from my grandmother's bathroom celing with two heat lamps side by side - I should remember it, I saw it often enough as up to age 13 I visited every Sunday afternoon for a bath. Strange I've not thought of seeking something similar in the 24 years we've lived here with an unheated bathroom.

Paul
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:33 pm   #17
duncanlowe
Nonode

Another vote for 'my Mother in Law had one of those in the bathroom'. Replaced many years ago (before part P) with a standard light, and a separate down flow fan heater from a new supply.
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:46 pm   #18
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Several types of lamps have been referred to; I'm not sure whether any of them are the same / similar to the Quartzray lamps offered by Dimplex https://www.dimplex.co.uk/product/qx...-quartz-heater

IIRC, these came on the scene with some fanfare in the mid-1990's, sold on the the "warm the people not the air" theme. I have two 1600W lamps which I used to use in a small workshop. They definitely kept me warm; never totally sure of the economics of buying (pricey) and using?

B
Old 26th Jan 2018, 7:48 pm   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Some years back I made a Biltong-machine for a South African friend. I used two 60-Watt incandescent bulbs in series as the heater.

What's a Biltong-machine I hear you ask? See https://www.sa-austin.com/make-biltong-box.html
Old 26th Jan 2018, 8:31 pm   #20
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
IIRC, these came on the scene with some fanfare in the mid-1990's, sold on the the "warm the people not the air" theme. I have two 1600W lamps which I used to use in a small workshop. They definitely kept me warm; never totally sure of the economics of buying (pricey) and using?
A local ex-Church has a load of these, un-used but still in place. In the electrical cupboard there is a fuse box about 3ftx1.5ft just for the heating (well most of it!) with many 16A or maybe 13A breakers on different phases.

It's all controlled by a large 3ph contactor (plus another smaller one that only controls ~6-9kW), so despite the high power only one small switch to turn it all on.
Closed Thread