UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2014, 1:35 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Valve-base Cement.

Just out of interest, does anyone know the precise makeup of the brown(ish) cement used to attach[1] glass valve-envelopes to their bakelite bases?

I'm thinking that it was some sort of Urea-Formaldehyde resin base bulked out with wood-flour? I've today been recovering the bakelite Octal-plugs from a slew of gone-to-air or otherwise unserviceable valves, and have noticed a wide degree of variance in how easy it is to dig out the remaining cement. A lot of US valves have a really hard brown shiny variety whereas that used by Mazda seems to be somewhat greener, duller, and crumblier.

[1] for not-necessarily-very-permanent meanings of 'attach'.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 1:59 pm   #2
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Re: Valve-base Cement.

I believe it was shellac.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 2:57 pm   #3
Andrewausfa
Octode

Having done the same as you recently, it reminded me of Cascamite wood glue which is what you mention, UF resin with additives.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 5:47 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Fro my experience it was generally shellac and wood flour, which is quickly dissolved with methylated spirits. I've done this often when replacing damaged valve bases on otherwise good valves, and when converting EBL1 (side contact base & 3/8" top cap) valves to EBL31s, which use an octal base and 1/4" top cap.(The two valves are electrically identical). Genuine EBL31 valves are quite rare and are required for Ecko A22 radios. (The so-called 'EBL31' valves on offer from UK valve dealers are invariably too tall to fit into the A22 and also have a 3/8" top cap).

If you wish to refit a valve base you can make a mixture using woodflour and shellac. Unless you have a bandsaw, (in which case you'll know that you're constantly clearing woodflour out of it), you can simply use 80G sandpaper on a piece of scrap wood and will soon collect enough. Easier of course to use two-part epoxy products such as car body filler or two-part woodfiller. (But probably not Araldite).

If you have a loose valve base (or top cap), you can usually re-secure it by dribbling shellac around the base, but bear in mind that if you buy ready-to-use bottled shellac French polish, it is quite thin and will probably need more than one application if the gap is wide, so maybe a couple of elastic bands from top of the valve to the base will pull the base back into position while the shellac sets.

There have been several warnings on the forum cautioning against the use of superglue ('CA') for re-fixing valve bases, as allegedly it can crack the glass when it heats up. Don't know if that's just an 'urban legend' but maybe best to err on the side of caution.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 6:21 pm   #5

I steal some of the wifes nail varnish (the clear stuff) and dribble a bit down the gap.

Old 11th Oct 2014, 9:01 pm   #6
SurreyNick
Heptode

I would strongly advise mixing your own than buying off-shelf. For adhesion I would opt for a 5lb cut (proportionately 5lb of shellac to 1 gallon of meths). You can't buy ready mix 5lb cut, well I've never seen it. Standard mix is 2 or 3lb cut. 5lb is thick and dries very quickly.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 6:48 pm   #7
Billie the Boss
Retired Dormant Member

I use Glass Glue. Works fine for me. I find super glue can go white ish.
Closed Thread