UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2014, 8:16 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Dropper capacitor replacement

Hi,
For a while now we have been using an 8 watt fluorescent inspection lamp for illumination when camping. Last week it finally failed and investigation showed that the dropper capacitor had ejected its dielectric through a split case. The markings say '225J' and '250v'. this lamp was made long before the advent of X2 caps.
I tried replacing it with a modern 0.22uF 275VAC X2 device,but the tube now only glows very dimly (I tried a new one). So, what value would be the modern equivalent of '225J'?
Thanks.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radio bits.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	98397  
Old 5th Oct 2014, 8:26 pm   #2
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Dropper capacitor replacement

Erm, it is 2.2uF, so ten times larger than the one you have used.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 5th Oct 2014 at 8:33 pm.
Old 5th Oct 2014, 8:42 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Exactly.

You may find a motor run capacitor is the most cost effective replacement if you can find one that physically fits.
Old 6th Oct 2014, 9:24 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Dropper capacitor replacement

Hi,
Many thanks for your help. I've always had a 'blind spot' when it came to capacitor markings.
I have amassed a small collection of X2 caps salvaged from various dead appliances, and I think there's a 2.2uF among them somewhere.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 6th Oct 2014, 10:43 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

If you don't trawl one up Pete, you can get them here for £1.96 inc VAT, but with an MOQ of five.

Still, at least orders over a fiver ex vat are post free in the UK:

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/87153-cap...25m-epcos.html
Old 6th Oct 2014, 3:28 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

2u2 X2 will be hard to find. Given the original was a 250VDC capacitor and lasted reasonably long, a 630VDC MKP (not MKT) capacitor will be a good replacement in this particular case (better than original, while an X2 rated capacitor may do worse than the original since most aren't made with series applications in mind). Depending on the actual ciruit, a 400VDC MKP capacitor might do just fine (the original was rated 250VDC after all!)
Old 6th Oct 2014, 4:59 pm   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

Is it a tight PCB situation? Otherwise, 3x 680nF X-type should be straightforward to find and at least give graceful degradation redundancy.
Old 6th Oct 2014, 8:39 pm   #8
daviddeakin
Hexode

2.2uF X2 caps are pretty common and easy to find these days.

http://www.rapidonline.com/electroni...acitor-10-2556
Old 6th Oct 2014, 9:55 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

If there is a metal film (or designated fusible) resistor in series with the capacitor, then it need not actually be X-rated; the resistor will act as a fuse if the capacitor ever fails low-impedance.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 5:28 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

A series dropper capacitor doesn't need to be X-rated by definition, since it isn't "across the mains". Especially in this case where a lower working voltage is probably sufficient (the 250VDC capacitor lasted for a long time) though I can't say for sure without a schematic of course - that's why I recommended 630V.

Most of the time it won't hurt to use an X-rated capacitor, but since they are mostly not specified for series use (the datasheet will mention if they are! If you want to be on the safe side and use an X-rated capacitor, look for this) they sometimes tend to fail a bit too safe: i.e. go open circuit or loose capacity in only a few years time. In the Netherlands, we call this the Senseo syndrome, since Philips Senseo coffee makers are very prone to this faillure mode.

P.S. We all assume this lamp is mains powered, but is it? Just asking to make sure.

Last edited by Maarten; 8th Oct 2014 at 5:37 pm.
Old 8th Oct 2014, 10:41 pm   #11
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Smile Re: Dropper capacitor replacement

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Yes, Maarten, the lamp is mains powered and, oddly, it carries a warning not to shorten the mains cable. Thus, I assumed that it was some kind of resistance cable, but it's just ordinary 0.5mm2 two core cable.
I will trawl my junk box and see what lurks within.
Cheers, Pete.