UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2018, 8:59 pm   #1
Studio263
Octode

Default Sony Indextron

So it turns out that Sony has another go at selling beam indexing sets to the public, but seeming in the USA and Japan only. Here's one:

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold..._operating.jpg

NEED!

Has anyone got any experience of these? How likely am I to be able to find one and at what cost? There may be other Indextron models but Sony clearly though that the UK market wasn't worthy - the smallest we had was the EV-DT1 with a built-in V8 deck. Cute, but it has a normal Trinitron tube.

Interesting that they didn't reuse the 'Chromatron' name they used for their original beam indexing sets (which didn't really work, apparently).
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 9:32 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Sony Indextron

I wanted one of these too! Still haven’t found one...

On another note, I saw mention of a set that uses a normal mono CRT with an LCD filter in front of it, worked a bit like a set with a colour wheel in front of it, but more compact. I think it was JVC who released a small colour monitor using this technology. I think that’s what it was anyway... I might be wrong!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 10:42 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

From the Radiofil France. Author of the topic is Vintage-Radio Forum member Jerome Halphen:

http://retro-forum.com/viewtopic.php...dextron#p73357

DFWB.
Old 8th Jul 2018, 7:27 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

I found an article on beam indexing in the last ever issue of 'Practical Television' (September 1970). This was clearly the "duffers and no-hopers" special edition since as well as pie-in-the-sky single gun colour tubes it also covered the EVR video system in depth and gave a brief description of the 'TelDec' video disc. All were gone within a few years.

What was made clear was that in a beam indexing tube there were a number of ways of sensing the position of the beam. Emission of secondary electrons from specially doped phosphor stripes, emission of ultra violet from a similar source (picked up by a photo multiplier looking through a 'window' in the bowl of the tube) and wires buried in the faceplate were all suggested, although it was said that all of these things brought with them considerable technical drawbacks. Does anyone know which method the Indextron uses?

One single gun colour tube mentioned in the article showed promise though. The Sony 'Trinitron', already in production at this stage to the tune of 50,000 a month, seemed to have a bright future although there were no PAL sets available at that stage to try it out with. It was mentioned though that the construction of the Trinitron would probably limit it to small screen sizes. I'll remember that the next time I'm heaving a KX-27PS1 Profeel monitor about!
Old 9th Jul 2018, 2:54 am   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

That 27" trinitron didn't quite outperform shadow mask tubes in terms of geometry (versus manufacturability) and resolution. Compromises had to be made to scale up the design.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 9:55 am   #6
Studio263
Octode

True enough, and the early ones had a very short life too - as little as 18 months for the ones used in the KV-2702UB and KV-2704UB. A66-540X 30AX was a better bet on the whole.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 10:39 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I was always impressed with the 2704s we used at university in the mid-1990s. Huge, bright and sharp picture by the standards of domestic sets of the 1980s, and very compact depthwise. I suspect they still looked good in spite of their age because they were used for no more than a few hours a month.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 11:26 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

There were quite a few poor Sony tubes about in the 1990s in computer screens under brand names such as Nokia and Dall. They just went soft very quickly and did not boost well with the croc clip adapter. Bases to fit those tubes were like ricking horse poo for almost all boosters.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 4:35 pm   #9
simpsons
Octode

I has a 2704 and its off air/composite resolution was vastly improved by replacing the 4.5Mhz ceramic filter with a inductance from a different model.

Whist it gave a very bright well converged picture, shotcummings in horizontal straight line presentation was evident on upper and lower teletex information but the family didn't notice.

Audio from its 4" loudspeaker even with the felt damped rear box attached was quite good, better when taken off.

The US version with 3.5 Mhz filter was not so good. Luckily a NTSC comb filter from one of their video recorders fitted as if made for the set.

Chris
Old 9th Jul 2018, 7:23 pm   #10
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio263 View Post
What was made clear was that in a beam indexing tube there were a number of ways of sensing the position of the beam. Emission of secondary electrons from specially doped phosphor stripes, emission of ultra violet from a similar source (picked up by a photo multiplier looking through a 'window' in the bowl of the tube) and wires buried in the faceplate were all suggested, although it was said that all of these things brought with them considerable technical drawbacks. Does anyone know which method the Indextron uses?
I have one of the 5 inch cube Indextron sets. It uses an external silicon diode looking for emission from the green strips. I'm not sure if the emission is green or near UV.
It looks through the regular glass of the tube.

The picture is poor, for reasons which are obvious from the picture in the first post of this thread.
Old 10th Jul 2018, 8:06 pm   #11
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
I have one of the 5 inch cube Indextron sets. It uses an external silicon diode looking for emission from the green strips. I'm not sure if the emission is green or near UV.
Wow! Do you have any pictures, especially of the chassis and the tube?
Old 11th Jul 2018, 12:00 am   #12
tubesrule
Hexode

Here's Marshall's page on his Chromatron:

https://visions4netjournal.com/422-2/

And here's the Indextron:

https://visions4netjournal.com/indextron/

Darryl