UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2018, 1:26 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Panasonic VHS pinch roller cleaning.

I have two fairly new Panasonic VHS/DVD combo machines (I'm putting this in the vinatge section as it's referring to the VHS part of the machine, which is old tech I guess).

I collect pre-recorded vhs tapes, and have been mould cleaning a lot of them of late, it seems hard to get a tape without mould nowadays. Although i extensively clean the tapes, I also clean the machine after I've watched one of the tapes i've cleaned (unless the mould is very minor).

BUt I am led to beleve that using Isopropanol on a pinch roller isn;t a good idea, it comes off way too black when i try it, like the pinch roller itself is coming off. I have been told to use Meths instead, but I've also had that contradicted, and been led to believe that different manufacturers use different materials in their pinch rollers.

So does anyone have any advice on what to use on a more modern Panasonic VHS please? I need to kill mold as well as just get any fluff off.
Thanks for the help
Old 28th Jun 2018, 2:20 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic VHS pinch roller cleaning.

We used to use a solvent called Platenclene. It was primarily for typewriter platens (remember them?) but worked well on pinchrollers. The good news is that CPC have 382 in stock which should cover a good few pinch rollers - one spray tin used to last us over a year - and we were busy! Order code is SAPL100 and is under a fiver.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 2:50 pm   #3
winston_1
Hexode

Certainly don't use meths. It has contaminates in it. We used to use something called Colclene TF (not the TE version though). Not sure if it is still available though.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 5:28 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Modern meths is industrial ethanol with a bit of dye and Bitrex added to discourage people from drinking it. It's normally as safe as any other alcohol including IPA. There can be a small amount of residue left if you let it evaporate, but this is insignificant. BBC studio managers used to use meths to clean the tape path in their Uher Reports and big console Studers.

It's normal for pinch wheels to shed black filth if they haven't been cleaned for a while.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:45 am   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have been using Meths for over 40 years to clean tape heads and pinch rollers in tape decks and VCR's, never had any problems yet!

Mark
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:49 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

We used IPA (recommended by Thorn) for many years.