UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2022, 5:50 pm   #21
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: Strange 2 pin plug socket in upstairs master bedroom (Victorian end Terrace house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post
My aunt had poor hearing later in life,

She had a device that flashed a bright light when the doorbell rang.

Can you trace the wire that went to that socket?
Hi,

Unfortunately I can't lift any of the floor boards now as that room's just had a brand new carpet fitted and they have nailed gripper all the way round the room about 15mm from the skirting so that's that.

It could well have had a wire that goes just about anywhere in the house ! - I looked downstairs and can't seem to see any sign of any bell-like cable coming from upstairs... so maybe it was there and was removed at some point or it never was there. It's hard to say, but there are lots of good suggestions on here now which is very interesting as someone somewhere may have a similar socket in their home still in action ! and doing what it was meant to do all those years ago ! and I would love to know what that was !
I love a good mystery so can you see the remains of an old fashioned doorbell push / wiring by the front door ?

Rog
Old 31st Dec 2022, 6:00 pm   #22
Bittyboy
Pentode

Default Re: Strange 2 pin plug socket in upstairs master bedroom (Victorian end Terrace house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon View Post
My aunt had poor hearing later in life,

She had a device that flashed a bright light when the doorbell rang.

Can you trace the wire that went to that socket?
Hi,

Unfortunately I can't lift any of the floor boards now as that room's just had a brand new carpet fitted and they have nailed gripper all the way round the room about 15mm from the skirting so that's that.

It could well have had a wire that goes just about anywhere in the house ! - I looked downstairs and can't seem to see any sign of any bell-like cable coming from upstairs... so maybe it was there and was removed at some point or it never was there. It's hard to say, but there are lots of good suggestions on here now which is very interesting as someone somewhere may have a similar socket in their home still in action ! and doing what it was meant to do all those years ago ! and I would love to know what that was !
I love a good mystery so can you see the remains of an old fashioned doorbell push / wiring by the front door ?

Rog
I wish !, Sadly the place has had a new front door frame and door fitted before I bought it and there is no sign of any holes in the brickwork where a door bell switch could have been so I'm really stumped by this !

I can see a few old tv aerials on the roof attached to the chimney but can't seem to see any thin bell like cable coming out of the gable wall and going to these aerials so don't think it's for that.

I also thought it may have been for a TV signal booster thing but it looked quite old and I'm not too sure how long these signal boosters have been around for ?...

Thanks for your post !
Old 31st Dec 2022, 6:08 pm   #23
Bittyboy
Pentode

I still think you guys are on the right track and it was something to do with a door bell ringer extender or some sort of speaker phone for an older person to be able to communicate with the people downstairs in the house if, or when they needed something...
Old 1st Jan 2023, 10:22 am   #24
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
I'll be honest, I think it could be just about anything. People would likely have used anything out of the Saturday box for anything they did. It's polarised yes. But that doesn't mean the application had to be. Though of course it may have been.
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !

Sorry I missed your post Duncan

Yes, it is polarised unlike a tape recorder or shaver socket, I was thinking it could have also been for a Christmas light set ?... Maybe there was a low voltage transformer somewhere under the floor hooked up to this strange 2 pin polarised socket to power Christmas lights in a Christmas tree perhaps ? as they used to sell allsorts years ago !

It could have also been for a power supply to a Hornby train set or a child's game back in the day ?...

Maybe it was for a down lit fire surround like in the attached image below on this post ?...

The fact that it is polarised means that it was intended for whatever it powered to only plug in 1 way... may have been a low voltage DC supply for something as it was a small socket...

Could have also been for an indicator light for a door bell like another poster pointed out - see last attached image for a similar fitting for a car which has the same sort of polarised plug and socket.. Although I think that strange plug socket it could have been for a door bell extender buzzer which just plugged into that socket like those Haze or Glade plug type air fresheners !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FIRE SURROUND WITH DOWNLIGHTS.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	270652   Click image for larger version

Name:	007-Sedan-Park-Lite-parking-lamp-the-continental-classic-car-auto-oldtimer-vintage-accessory-chr.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	270653  

Last edited by Bittyboy; 1st Jan 2023 at 10:47 am.
Old 1st Jan 2023, 6:21 pm   #25
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Reminds me of David Mitchell's mysterious red switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZS2B5y1J4A
Old 1st Jan 2023, 7:19 pm   #26
Hartley118
Nonode

It’s worth bearing in mind something that most of us on this forum are aware of: that practically every mains-operated valve radio included a pair of extension speaker sockets. Some also included means to switch off the main set speaker, leaving just the extension.

Extension speakers of course needed wiring. The 1939-built house that I grew up in actually had built-in extension speaker wiring between the front and back rooms, terminated in 2A 2-pin round-pin sockets at each end. My father had further extended the extension speaker wiring to serve the kitchen too. An important criterion for extension speaker connections was that the plugs be incompatible with mains sockets. Maybe this socket is deliberately unusual for that reason.

So perhaps in this example we’re looking at nothing more mysterious than an extension speaker socket. The remaining task is to work out where the other end of the wiring is - presumably downstairs where the main radio might have been sited. The presence of Aerial/Earth wiring might be a clue to the location of the main radio.

Martin
Old 1st Jan 2023, 9:12 pm   #27
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Reminds me of David Mitchell's mysterious red switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZS2B5y1J4A
hahaha !

Good one ! - If I lived in that flat for 11 years I probably would have been tempted to wear a helmet and flick that red switch LOL !
Old 1st Jan 2023, 9:22 pm   #28
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
It’s worth bearing in mind something that most of us on this forum are aware of: that practically every mains-operated valve radio included a pair of extension speaker sockets. Some also included means to switch off the main set speaker, leaving just the extension.

Extension speakers of course needed wiring. The 1939-built house that I grew up in actually had built-in extension speaker wiring between the front and back rooms, terminated in 2A 2-pin round-pin sockets at each end. My father had further extended the extension speaker wiring to serve the kitchen too. An important criterion for extension speaker connections was that the plugs be incompatible with mains sockets. Maybe this socket is deliberately unusual for that reason.

So perhaps in this example we’re looking at nothing more mysterious than an extension speaker socket. The remaining task is to work out where the other end of the wiring is - presumably downstairs where the main radio might have been sited. The presence of Aerial/Earth wiring might be a clue to the location of the main radio.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your rather informative post !...Lots of good points there, That weird socket could well have been for an external speaker of some sort and that "bell like wire" could have been early speaker wire ?

I looked in all the other rooms in this 3 floor house and I could not seem to find another socket like that one anywhere, I even checked all the skirting boards for any tell tales of any such socket or wiring but found nothing at all

Whatever it was for, I think was exclusive just to that room, but I recon it is to do with vintage audio like an early AM/FM antenna...

Like I said, before the painter removed it (how dare he !!) I had plugged my mini 12 volt Minicraft MB140 drill into it but there was no power so either it was already disconnected before I bought the house or it was for an aerial of some type...

Edit;- I keep asking myself Why was it placed right by the fireplace ??...I could have been fitted anywhere in that room couldn't it ?

My thoughts to narrow this down...

1) Mantle Piece clock ?
2) Mantle Piece lighting ?
3) Audio socket of some sort ? (wide scope here)
4) Old Christmas tree lights ?
5) Charger socket for whatever gadget that needed a small polarised 2 pin socket with 2 different size round pins about 10mm apart ?
6) A Intercom aid for an older person to communicate with the people down stairs as it is a big house ?
7) A cordless rotary tool for a hobby ? (like my mini drill lol !)
8) A old goose neck table lamp ?

More ideas and suggestions on what that socket could have been for always welcome !

Last edited by Bittyboy; 1st Jan 2023 at 9:44 pm.
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 12:21 am   #29
Bittyboy
Pentode

Talking Re: Strange 2 pin plug socket in upstairs master bedroom (Victorian end Terrace house

I think I have worked out what plugs into that small strange 2 unequal size round pin plug socket !!...

I am pretty sure now that this socket was for some sort of low voltage electric armchair, you know the sort that have a remote control joystick to adjust the chair in a comfortable position via 12v/24v geared motors... or even turn it into a make do bed for an afternoon nap ! if someone older was using it...

I've drawn a sketch of the room and how I think it may have been 50 or 60 years ago when that socket was in use ! (see attached images)

My tech drawing skills are pretty bad with just a sharpie pen !... but I think if you study it you'll get the idea of what I mean !

What do you guys think ?... that reclining armchair has to get its power from somewhere !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5595.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	270696   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5596.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	270697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5579.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	270698   Click image for larger version

Name:	One-Rehab-Kingsley.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	270700   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5580.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	270703  

Last edited by Bittyboy; 2nd Jan 2023 at 12:35 am.
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 12:19 pm   #30
Richard_FM
Nonode

My old girlfriend had a chair like that because of a medical condition that caused her joints to move more than they should. He had a hospital like bed that could be adjusted.
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 12:35 pm   #31
Station X

My late mother had one of those chairs. It has a mains PSU with an output of 29V 1.5A. The power supply incorporates two PP3 batteries so that it can be lowered in case of a power cut.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 2:09 pm   #32
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
My late mother had one of those chairs. It has a mains PSU with an output of 29V 1.5A. The power supply incorporates two PP3 batteries so that it can be lowered in case of a power cut.
Very interesting mate ... I was Googling this all night last night but couldn't find any pics of very early reclining arm chairs plugged in to such a small low voltage 2 pin socket... It may well have existed back in the 1960's or 70's...

That strange 2 pin plug socket could have also been for a fish tank setup in the alcove too if it were a low voltage DC supply...

Can't seem to find any pictures of another one online anywhere !

I do remember seeing once in an old Tandy or it may have been an RS catalogue polarised plugs similar to the minicraft tool ones saying "SP103" and "SKAR 2"...Not sure which edition it was in, I know Tandy started back in 1973 before they want bust in 2004... but I have a feeling that this socket was from the late 1960's... I could be wrong though !
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 2:27 pm   #33
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
My old girlfriend had a chair like that because of a medical condition that caused her joints to move more than they should. He had a hospital like bed that could be adjusted.
Interesting, Maybe it was for a electric chair or an electric bed installed by the hospital for their patient ?... It seems like it was a very rare or unique socket as I've combed eBay for the last 2 weeks and can't seem to see another socket the same for sale - just loads of Bakelite sockets and plugs from the 1930's and 40's or really modern stuff.

I guess some collector or electrical contractor or even house renovator might have another one knocking around in their collection or toolbox !

My decorator removed a lot of stuff from all the rooms and half of them he did not put back ! ...he told me that everything he removed was put in a black bag and in my green dustbin including a low voltage socket from upstairs that was just attached to a cut wire he said ! ... and the binmen in my area came a few days early that week before they went on their strike so I was too late to get it back by time I noticed it was gone ! and the skirting board where it was was filled and painted !

Thanks for your post ! !
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 4:16 pm   #34
Hartley118
Nonode

I've moved my money to back Nick's suggestion in #20 of Baby Alarm wiring. Back in the 1950s/60s, most Baby Alarms weren't wireless like they are today, but needed a twin core hard wired connection. That socket, being in the parents' 'master bedroom' could have been wired across to the microphone in the child's bedroom and would have fed the simple amplifier/speaker to alert the parents of any complaint from the child.

Martin
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 4:43 pm   #35
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I've moved my money to back Nick's suggestion in #20 of Baby Alarm wiring. Back in the 1950s/60s, most Baby Alarms weren't wireless like they are today, but needed a twin core hard wired connection. That socket, being in the parents' 'master bedroom' could have been wired across to the microphone in the child's bedroom and would have fed the simple amplifier/speaker to alert the parents of any complaint from the child.

Martin
Hey Martin,

Thanks for you suggestion !, I think you may be right as it is a possibility that socket was in fact from the late 1950's to early 60's and the baby's cot may have been in that corner in the alcove !

I will now google this and see if there are any new leads to what that socket was for !
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 6:49 pm   #36
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Pragmatically, I still think this socket was part of some sort of bell/alarm/intercom system.

It's too small - and desperately unsafe - for anything involving mains-voltages or more than about an Amp of current.

I remember them being used by railway-modellers in decades-past, and also as a cheap-and-cheerful connector for car inspection-lamps etc; nothing more than a couple of amps at 12V.
Old 2nd Jan 2023, 8:29 pm   #37
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Pragmatically, I still think this socket was part of some sort of bell/alarm/intercom system.

It's too small - and desperately unsafe - for anything involving mains-voltages or more than about an Amp of current.

I remember them being used by railway-modellers in decades-past, and also as a cheap-and-cheerful connector for car inspection-lamps etc; nothing more than a couple of amps at 12V.
My thoughts exactly.

It looks very similar to a 12v "whale plug" with the 2 different size prongs which look to be the same distance apart like my small Minicraft hobby drill.

I'm not sure whether it was fused or not as I never got the chance to unscrew it from the skirting board and inspect it - my decorator spoilt my fun ! grrr !

I spent 2 hours googling vintage and antique baby monitors but could not seem to find any pics or info regarding their power supply outlet sockets.

I still believe it was for an reclining electric arm chair or a door bell extender alarm !

I recon it was a low voltage socket hooked up to a DC stepdown transformer somewhere under the floor boards (or even in the room below) which may have long gone years ago if someone downstairs had cut the wire and removed whatever gadget or transformer it was hooked up to and filled the hole in the ceiling !

Does anyone know what the correct name here in the UK is or was for such a socket with the one small pin (about 2.5mm and one larger pin about 4mm) that seems to still be very common with Black & Decker Minicraft tools ?

see attached pics showing a "whale" type plug for a 12v caravan water pump. which looks like it would have fitted this strange surface mounted 2 pin polarised socket drawn by me in the last pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FireShot Capture 152 - Whale Plug & Gasket Assembly for Superfil 80 AS8090 for sale online -_ - .png
Views:	47
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	270764   Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Capture 151 - Whale Plug & Gasket Assembly for Superfil 80 AS8090 for sale online -_ - .png
Views:	50
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	270765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5579.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	270766  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 1:36 am   #38
Bittyboy
Pentode

Wink Re: Strange 2 pin plug socket in upstairs master bedroom (Victorian end Terrace house

I'm totally hopeless at drawing but never the less I've had a go at drawing this phantom plug socket that's been bugging me !

I'm incline to go with the fact it is some kind of external audio or speaker plug socket for...

(A) An early intercom system (or 2 wire handset CB)
(B) A door bell extender alarm (or warning light)
(C) Possibly an early Baby alarm speaker module
(D) A small sewing machine of some sort
(E) An early small Dremal type drill (anything's possible !)
(F) A lady shaver !!! lol
(G) A fish tank power supply
(H) An early AM/FM radio aerial
(i) A connector for God knows what ! ?? - I give up !!

This socket looks to definitely be a low voltage type, It is not switched and I doubt that it has any internal safety fuse (although I could be wrong !)

Decent sketches are now attached to this post - Hope someone can chime in with what it could have been for as this is now driving me crazy !!

Thanks guys !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5603.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	270779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5604.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	270780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5605.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	270781  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 10:55 am   #39
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Been reading this thread on and off and thinking, like yourself, what is it!

Whist having my morning coffee it hit me, it could be the same type of socket and plug as used on the Leak Transistor amplifiers (ST30-70) in the 1960’s and this was used an extension speaker socket? However this would have been just as useable for any of the other uses listed.

This would have been standard plug and socket set, but for the life of me I don’t know what they were called – maybe do a shout out for the ‘name’ or ‘manufacturer’ of the two pin Leak speaker plug and socket used on the Leak ST30 and ST70 amplifiers and from memory also the Sandwich speaker? This my give you a lead in your quest to finding out more about this socket. Maybe this was a wall mount version of the socket seen in the back of the Leak amplifier?

Attached pictures and dimensions of said plug.

Going at tangent - as I tend to do - back in the 1950’s my grandfather took the speaker out of a 1950’s console radio that was located in the spare bedroom and built a small cabinet for the removed speaker and put it in the kitchen for my grandmother and ran a cable back to the Radio in the spare bedroom. This speaker and radio got removed from the kitchen when my grandparents got their first transistor radio a Dansette Dorchester in the early 1960's.

Terry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5307.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	270785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5308.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	270786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5311.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	270787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5312.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	270788  
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 12:31 pm   #40
Bittyboy
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
Hello,

Been reading this thread on and off and thinking, like yourself, what is it!

Whist having my morning coffee it hit me, it could be the same type of socket and plug as used on the Leak Transistor amplifiers (ST30-70) in the 1960’s and this was used an extension speaker socket? However this would have been just as useable for any of the other uses listed.

This would have been standard plug and socket set, but for the life of me I don’t know what they were called – maybe do a shout out for the ‘name’ or ‘manufacturer’ of the two pin Leak speaker plug and socket used on the Leak ST30 and ST70 amplifiers and from memory also the Sandwich speaker? This my give you a lead in your quest to finding out more about this socket. Maybe this was a wall mount version of the socket seen in the back of the Leak amplifier?

Attached pictures and dimensions of said plug.

Going at tangent - as I tend to do - back in the 1950’s my grandfather took the speaker out of a 1950’s console radio that was located in the spare bedroom and built a small cabinet for the removed speaker and put it in the kitchen for my grandmother and ran a cable back to the Radio in the spare bedroom. This speaker and radio got removed from the kitchen when my grandparents got their first transistor radio a Dansette Dorchester in the early 1960's.

Terry.
Hello there Valvepower !

Thank you very much for replying to this thread and for your great detailed post, Those Leak male plugs look like they would have fitted into that old strange female socket I used to have.

I will google this and see what it brings up as its very interesting and exciting to learn about new stuff and whether that could be what that mystery plug socket was used for !

Have a great day and keep watching this thread !
Closed Thread