UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2022, 9:01 pm   #1
nicam49
Hexode

Default Quartz clock movement query

Hi All, I have a similar problem to this one:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=103354
my Kienzle movement has the same high frequency crystal; 4.194304MHz, and a similar-sounding chip : 1110A with the maker's mark a sort of scripted 'e'
I've had this movement in an old converted wall clock since the 1970s, and it uses 2 x 'C' batteries.
It no longer goes. I'd like some tips, please on how to test/check what might be the matter with it. I do have an old analogue scope,... should I expect to see a waveform on the crystal or would the scope probe suppress it? Thanks for your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221224_193100.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	270331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221224_193124.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	270332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221224_193144.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	270333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221224_195949.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	270334  
Old 24th Dec 2022, 9:08 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Quartz clock movement qyery

Can you take a picture of the track side of the PCB ?

Joe
Old 25th Dec 2022, 2:05 am   #3
nicam49
Hexode

Default Re: Quartz clock movement query

Hi Joe, yes will do tomorrow, in the meantime have been reading another thread with a similar movement:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=158324

Sadly this one ended up in the bin (spoiler alert)!
Old 25th Dec 2022, 8:21 am   #4
tanveerriaz
Triode

tune a sw radio 4.194304MHz for chk osc. easy chk osc frequency.
Old 25th Dec 2022, 12:09 pm   #5
nicam49
Hexode

Here's a pic of the circuit board - the white wire is there to bridge the on/off switch.
Thanks for the sw radio tip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221225_101136.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	270362  
Old 25th Dec 2022, 10:01 pm   #6
joebog1
Banned

I would think there is nothing much to go wrong with that board. Of course, saying that I am assuming the chip still works and that coil isnt open circuit. There is an "orange blob " that I am assuming is a capacitor. I would be starting there.

A s that capacitor looks to be electrolytic, its a prime suspect for drying out. I dont know what value it is so you will have to dissemble the unit to see, and change it. I cannot see that it would cost more than about a quid, even if its something special.

If you take the PCB off the mechanism we can see what else might be hiding in there.

Joe
Old 26th Dec 2022, 2:09 pm   #7
nicam49
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerriaz View Post
tune a sw radio 4.194304MHz for chk osc. easy chk osc frequency.
A good idea.... Except that my sw radio's bands start at 5.95mhz, and curiously all its othe bands avoid any harmonics of 4.194304..... :-(
Old 26th Dec 2022, 9:31 pm   #8
nicam49
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
I would think there is nothing much to go wrong with that board. Of course, saying that I am assuming the chip still works and that coil isnt open circuit. There is an "orange blob " that I am assuming is a capacitor. I would be starting there.

A s that capacitor looks to be electrolytic, its a prime suspect for drying out. I dont know what value it is so you will have to dissemble the unit to see, and change it. I cannot see that it would cost more than about a quid, even if its something special.

If you take the PCB off the mechanism we can see what else might be hiding in there.

Joe
Thanks Joe! I almost missed your reply for some reason, will take more pics before pulling it apart 👍
Old 28th Dec 2022, 3:12 pm   #9
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
I'd like some tips, please on how to test/check what might be the matter with it. I do have an old analogue scope,... should I expect to see a waveform on the crystal or would the scope probe suppress it? Thanks for your thoughts!
I would have thought a scope would show it running. Ideally you want a 10:1 divider probe which has a lower capacitance loading than a 1:1 probe.

If you haven't got one then just measure using a series cap (say 10pF) to the crystal. Make sure the cap is at the measuring end of the lead.

One end of the crstal will be the oscillator 'output' and more able to stand loading, the other end is the input to the oscillator and more likely to be affected by a probe.
Old 28th Dec 2022, 3:55 pm   #10
lesmw0sec
Octode

I would not be convinced about a scope reading, even with a probe. Those circuits are very fussy about loading - same with some of the PIC oscillators. A nearby radio is a good suggestion.
Old 28th Dec 2022, 8:32 pm   #11
nicam49
Hexode

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll dig out my elderly scope this evening and hope it fires up (in a good way) the circuit also contains 2 small value caps, no values, shown. Re the radio suggestion : the frequency 4.194304mhz is out of the range of any of the bands of my sw radio as are its harmonics.
Old 28th Dec 2022, 9:45 pm   #12
joebog1
Banned

I can see one ceramic cap ( little grey square with black top )but it would be unlikely that it would fail.
Its an NPO cap ( indicated by black top ).
I think everybody else here is assuming that nicam has a workshop equiped with all the do-dads.
I am assuming the opposite.

Joe
Old 28th Dec 2022, 11:24 pm   #13
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I wouldn’t in any way want to dissuade or discourage you from trying to restore the clock movement to working order. After all, the bedrock of the forum is restoration, conservation and experimentation and there’s nothing like a ‘’success story’ to gladden the heart.

However, if the repair doesn’t go to plan, given that the movement itself is not original to the clock, you might wish to consider a replacement. I’ve done that a couple of times using MSF radio controlled movements, which aren’t expensive. You can get them with a smooth sweep silent movement, or a ‘tick’ movement which simulate the ticking second hand of a mechanical clock.

Lots to choose from including kienzle. EG:

https://www.dansclockshop.com/search...dio+controlled

Hope that of interest.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 29th Dec 2022, 12:24 am   #14
nicam49
Hexode

Well, I think my vaulting ambition got the better of me, and I managed to destroy the 2 47pf NPO caps but not before removing and measuring them - one was 47pf, and the other measured 41pf. The orange cap is a bipolar 20uf one and measured 24.94 uf, with an esr of 0.56 Ohms. The xtal has date of 1-76 marked on it. Looks like I'll be a while trying to source 2 47ph NPO caps without paying a ton in postage tho' I guess any will do temp. If I want to substitute the bipolar cap, I understand I can wire 2 electrolytics together, at least for now. Thanks for your help btw esp identifying the NPO caps - which I hadn't a clue about!
Old 29th Dec 2022, 4:42 am   #15
joebog1
Banned

ALL of those capacitors will cost less than half a pint!!.
The 47Pf ceramic plates will need be identical to the origionals, because NPO is the temeperature co efficient of the
capacitor.
I dont mean they need be matched or identical in exact value, but they should be ceramic plate NPO's.
What that means is that is does not change capacity with temperature, well, at least not very much.

The bipolar electrolytic can be purchased in a very large variety of qualities. From real rubbish, to something very nicely made and will last years. It will still be very cheap. Yes, you can use two back to back ordinary electrolytics, but will look tacky on the PCB.

Joe
Old 29th Dec 2022, 12:49 pm   #16
Station X

Five off topic posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=197044

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread