UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2022, 8:09 pm   #1
Triode & Diode
Diode

Default Teac CD RW 890 recorder.

Hello….I have a 2nd hand TEAC RW 890 CD Recorder but I don’t understand why I cannot record onto OR more important get a signal/level into the machine?

I have a Marantz 5400 amplifier & as far as I am aware have connected the inputs & outputs correctly & even though the machine plays discs the volume from the TEAC is fairly low.

Even though I select an input from the Amplifier the recorder does not pick up any signal:the manual doesn’t address the lack of recording OR the low volume playback.

Additionally I have done all of the things the manual suggests to get a signal & adjusting the recording level etc:I bought the machine 2nd hand as I said & recently got a remote for it & started installing it last night.

I have some Sony CD-R’s that I bought ages ago for this eventuality & while the machine plays pre-recorded discs(at a low volume)the machine seems to record BUT with no signal going into it: I have even used the MONITOR option to see any signal going into the device & NOTHING.

The low volume & NO recording signal seems to indicate a problem with the machine itself?

ANY suggestions before I take it to a repairman would be very appreciated!

Yours Sincerely

Justin.
Old 5th Dec 2022, 8:34 pm   #2
gallowfields
Hexode

Default Re: Teac CD RW 890 recorder.

you don,t say what you are trying to record from ie tuner,tape deck etc if you could show us your arrangement of wiring we might be able to help
regards brian
Old 6th Dec 2022, 2:53 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It would be worth posting this under the audio and hi-fi tab as that might attract someone familiar with this deck. Usually a moderator will do this for you.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 3:52 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Thread moved.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 3:58 pm   #5
Richardgr
Heptode

The blurb for the device says there is a headphone socket with volume control - was that what you were using when you mentioned MONITOR above?
Old 7th Dec 2022, 8:38 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode & Diode View Post
I have some Sony CD-R’s that I bought..
That may be an additional problem.
Some CD recorders, by design, will only record onto special "audio" CD-R disks that were avalable at a premium at the time these machines were marketed.

The idea was to compensate the record industry for their perceived losses due to home duplication.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 7th Dec 2022 at 8:45 pm.
Old 7th Dec 2022, 9:25 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes that's right Graham. I've always used dedicated audio CD discs, mainly the maxell XL-II 80 ones, identified as "Music" to differentiate them from basic computer discs. Those who burned music to their home computer never seemed understand the difference. The "Music" CD's could be finalised to play on anything while often Computer Discs wouldn't. This seems to be different now as recordings I get from a computer source generally play ok. The dedicated audio discs did indeed cost a lot more back then but the maxwell brand are still available [for now] and very cheap! They work fine on my latest [reconditioned] compact disc recorder, a TEAC CD-RW890 mkII.

Dave W
Old 8th Dec 2022, 6:35 pm   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The OPs post reminded me of the occasion when a similar CD recorder turned up for at a repair shop where I was working in the early 2000's (in Bury).

The guy could not get it to record anything, the LCD display gave a most unhelpful cryptic error message.

The Internet wasn't as mature as it is now, but fortunately Googling the words of the error message educated me about these music disks.
Closed Thread