UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2013, 3:16 pm   #1
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Default No 162 Refurbish into a No 232 - What did this actually include?

Hello

First post here on what looks like a site I will be spending many hours on!

I hope someone can help me with this question:

I have what I believe to be an original GPO 1/162 F that has been in for (Refurbish) at the GPO Factory – Cwmcarn, Wales as it has the stamp on the base that states 1/232 F FWR 58/2.

The reason I think this was a No 162 is that you can still see the original N262 wiring diagram for the No 1/162, below the stuck on top N332 later version wiring diagram used for the 1/232.

I assume that the “58” in the base number (1/232 F FWR 58/2) indicates the year -1958, when it had its Refurbish in Wales? All the wiring is original cloth coated type and all neatly routed and secured with no sign anywhere of more modern plastic wiring. In fact, it looks like it’s not been touched in many, many years, bar what they may have done in the Refurbish.?

Does anyone know exactly what this Refurbish included e.g. just cleaning, rewiring, new wiring diagram sticker, removed/added components, other things?? Somewhere along the line it also received the letters and numbers dial, but it still has the fat style finger stop.

I now wish to find and purchase a Bellset for the phone, but based on the Refurbish, it’s a little unclear which is now the correct one for this phone - BELLSET No. 25 or BELLSET No. 26?

If the Refurbish literally rewired the phone into a 1/232 then the Bellset No 26 is the one to go for and if not, then it’s the No 25.

If anyone can cast any clarity on this, I would be most grateful and apologies in advance if this is obvious info in the group – I’m new to this, but very enthusiastic!

Many thanks;

LRS
Old 9th Jun 2013, 10:14 pm   #2
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: No 162 Refurbish into a No 232 - What did this actually include?

Hello

If you have not already seen it you may find the following useful http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_162.htm

I expect that as your 232 has been refurbished it has been fitted with an induction coil and therefore will operate with a No 26 Bellset.

John
Old 10th Jun 2013, 3:18 pm   #3
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John

Yes, you're correct as it does definitely have the paper wrapped induction coil fitted.

It would be interesting to see the original job sheet instructions that were used in the GPO Factories when conducting the (Refurbish) activity on the various series of phones over the years. It could help assist in more accurate dating of the phone units 'real' manufacturing date.

Thanks;

Simon
Old 20th Jun 2013, 8:29 am   #4
BakeliteBear
Pentode

Rather than destroy the integrity of a vintage 162, I would try to secure a no.1 or 25 bellset.

It is possible to convert a no.26 bellset by adding a suitable coil which, IMHO is a better solution.

162's also have different cradles, pasters and bases.

If your telephone has already been messed with, then do what you like, but if it is in its original condition I would urge you reconsider.
Old 21st Jun 2013, 8:58 pm   #5
LRS0001
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeliteBear View Post
Rather than destroy the integrity of a vintage 162, I would try to secure a no.1 or 25 bellset.

It is possible to convert a no.26 bellset by adding a suitable coil which, IMHO is a better solution.

162's also have different cradles, pasters and bases.

If your telephone has already been messed with, then do what you like, but if it is in its original condition I would urge you reconsider.
Hi BakeliteBear

Don't worry, if it was an original 162 I would keep just as you say.

The thing is that somewhere along the road, it has been updated to a 232 and from what I can observe, this has been done a long time ago by someone who really new what they where doing as it looks just like the mint condition photos of a 232's internals with all original corded type wiring. This is what I'm guessing may have been done during the Refurbish at GPO in the 1950s? This may also be where they pasted on a 232 wiring diagram over the 162 one.

The only other theory is that the base was originally for a 162, but may have then been modified by sticking a new 232 sticker over it when the factory moved from producing 162's to 232's?

So, in conclusion, it's now a 232 based on its internals, but the base clearly shows a 232 wiring sticker pasted over a 162 wiring sticker.

A mystery that may never be solved...?
Closed Thread