UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2017, 7:33 pm   #1
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ultra Bermuda.

Good evening guys/gals

I have for the last 13 years sat in my garage a Ultra Bermuda tv. I pulled out of a previous houses loft. I have fired it up a few times over the years but i think the frame has collapsed. Maybe with our help I can get the old girl up and running. Two photos attached but i have lots more, i have found a date on the inside of the cover of 16/4/1960 so she has some years on her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra 1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	143012   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultra 2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	143013  
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:34 am   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Ultra Bermuda.

I spot a 900 or 950 chassis! Looks like the UHF tuner has never been fitted. Does your set have the red jellypot LOPT and EHT tray or a conventional LOPT and EHT rectifier (very early versions)?

They're many possible causes of frame collapse in these sets. Before delving in too far try a slight adjustment of the height control incase its developed a dud spot. If no joy try a replacement PCL85 or PCL 805 if you have one. Then time to check associated components, voltages etc.

There's also a VDR in the scan coils that's known to go o/c. This can be shorted out.

Also check the scan coil connections. If the chassis is lifted up for service the wires can break off.

Also, very important, keep the brilliance control well down in the fault condition to prevent a burnt line developing on the screen.

The set is certainly later than 1960, I'd say more 1964/5.

Love to see more photos.
Good luck.

Brian

Last edited by Focus Diode; 22nd May 2017 at 10:43 am. Reason: correction.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:38 pm   #3
Focus Diode
Octode

Just to confirm your set does employ the Thorn 900 chassis. Looks like an Ultra 19" model 6625 by the cabinet back.

Brian.
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:55 pm   #4
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Here are some more photos, focus diode if you could point out the height control I will try this first.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170521_182322.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	143064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170521_182414.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	143065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170521_195032.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	143066  
Old 22nd May 2017, 1:30 pm   #5
Focus Diode
Octode

Hi Kegnkiwi,

What a lovely set. It does have a UHF tuner after all. Didn't see the UHF aerial socket in your first photo. The main difference between the 900 and 950 is the system switch is manual in the former, but a solenoid in the latter.

The three height related pre-sets are at the bottom left on looking at the rear, close to the aerial sockets. This panel may have to be removed to gain access to one of the controls. Don't have service info on me at the moment so not exactly sure which of the three is the height control, but try slight adjustment of each all the same. If a dud spot is revealed the raster will open out.

If no joy the PCL85/805 will have to be checked by substitution. Then check other causes. Don't forget the wires on the scan coils. There's four in total, two each for line and frame scan.

The capacitors will need to be replaced which can be time consuming but will be worth the effort.

I also note a 3A fuse has been fitted. It should be 1.5A
Cheers
Brian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Edited_ImageEasyImageEditor_20170522_372.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	143080  

Last edited by Focus Diode; 22nd May 2017 at 1:39 pm.
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:06 pm   #6
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Brian

Can you recommend a good place to start looking for replacement valves PCL85/805. What's a typical price to pay for such items. I have not checked out ebay or anything yet. Is the only way to check these to replace them. I did a few years ago swap them around but it made no difference.

Cheers

Jon
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:37 pm   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Watford valves have the PCL85/805 in stock at £4 + VAT, postage will probably be as much again.
https://watfordvalves.com/search.asp...&Submit=Search

If you require other valves and if Watford quote a good price, it may be worth ordering them together and save on postage.

Frank
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:48 pm   #8
volte-face
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegnkiwi View Post
I did a few years ago swap them around but it made no difference.
Swapped them around with what? I notice that the wire securing clip is displaced on the PCL86 (sound o/p valve). Would you have swapped the PCL85/805 with the PCL86 by any chance? For reference, the PCL86 should be at the rear and the PCL85/805 at the front.

I also notice that the black loud speaker wire push on tag (from the yellow and black twisted pair) is floating in mid air, so you wont have any sound either. It should be pushed onto the far right hand tag of the output transformer.

For your own safety, it may help us to know if you've had much/any previous experience of repairing this kind of equipment?
Old 22nd May 2017, 4:55 pm   #9
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Hi volte-face.

I did 3 years at tech a few years back doing city and guilds E224, tv and radio servicing. I've been playing about with electronics for a good few years. I just have no experience on this old type of set. The last bunch of tv's I played about with where the small bush 14" tv's with vestel boards. I've not really played about with this set and with your experience I shall try and get it going. Saves chucking it in the bin. I've a personal scope that i can did out if needed but just need a little guidance. This is a pet project for the evenings, I have it for a lot of years already so no major rush.
Old 22nd May 2017, 6:37 pm   #10
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus Diode View Post
Just to confirm your set does employ the Thorn 900 chassis. Looks like an Ultra 19" model 6625 by the cabinet back.

Brian.
Hi Brian you where close the model is 6627 and i guess it a 900 series from the tag, Serial number 4847 if anyone has any info on the age. In the back panel it has hand written 1960 i think.

it does seem to be around 64, now i have found the model more info appearing.

hxxp://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12588

note sure on forum rules on here so I removed the direct link, nice skinny legs not on mine.

Last edited by kegnkiwi; 22nd May 2017 at 6:50 pm.
Old 22nd May 2017, 6:53 pm   #11
Focus Diode
Octode

Wow! That's really exciting. Your set (if my data source is correct) has provision for VHF/FM radio! I was disappointed the 11" Ferguson Personal doesn't have this facility. I would have thought it ideal being more like a radio in size.

Your set will probably be restricted to the Home Service (Radio 4), Third (Radio 3) and Light (Radio 2) services which was the norm back then.

Cheers
Brian
Old 22nd May 2017, 6:58 pm   #12
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I don't know if you have a manual, if not that link gives you the frame timebase. It's a standard type of circuit, if it's not a faulty TX or coils it should be straightforward to get the frame working.
Frank
Edit. When I looked the photo of the system switch I could only think it was for the radio but could not read the legend. An even more interesting set.
Old 22nd May 2017, 7:34 pm   #13
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

If any one is interested when I recoved the above tv i also recovered a twin reeler (i guess thats what its called) see attached photos. There was one other item as well but I left that behind. There was If I can remember a 1960 american dolls house.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reel-1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	143088   Click image for larger version

Name:	reel2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	143089  
Old 22nd May 2017, 7:45 pm   #14
ms660
Dekatron

I think Westminsters were sold by Currys, the tape deck itself looks like a BSR TD2.

Lawrence.
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:15 pm   #15
Colourstar
Octode

Given that this set has sat in the garage for years and may have picked up some residual damp I wonder if the thermistor in the scan coils has fallen apart (if this is one of the sets where it's fitted). Might be worth checking that before you delve any further into the circuit. Might also be worth checking the connections to the scan coils as they can become brittle and snap. The chassis uses wrap-around tags for wire connections. Sometimes even hinging the chassis up into the service position is enough to break a brittle connection.

It looks like the crt is well back from the perspex implosion guard in one of the photos. I'm not sure why that would be as it should be securely mounted in the cabinet!

Steve
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:27 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

If the thermistor in the scan coils is O/C the displayed line would have a 'kink'. The decoupling capacitor in the supply to the height control from the boost rail may be S/C. J.
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:47 pm   #17
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

The tube is away from the perspex it is mounted to two blocks at the top and they have come away from the outer case. The wood is really good and next job.is to glue it back in place. Volumn is also back
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:59 pm   #18
Focus Diode
Octode

The CRT is indeed well back Steve, especially to the right where the internal workings of the set can be seen.

Not sure how its supposed to be secured to the cabinet, perhaps the fixings have become loose?

Either way please take great care with it. If it has to be handled never without eye protection and never hold it by the neck.

Appears the set has a conventional line output transformer, so an early example of the 900 chassis.

Cheers
Brian

Edit - post crossed with Kegenkiwi above. Good start getting the sound back.
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:55 pm   #19
kegnkiwi
Retired Dormant Member

The sound returning was down to volte-face noticing that a wire was off in one of the photos. Many thanks for noticing. I'll show some photos tomorrow but it should be a simple fix.
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:53 pm   #20
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Hi Kegnkiwi,

Although currently away for a few days at the moment I'm based in Wakefield too so once I'm back if you need any valves testing let me know.

Marc.
Closed Thread