UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2017, 7:35 pm   #1
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Supplier of thin three core mains cable

I've a small collection of Marconi test gear which, as I'm sure many people know, is sometimes fitted with a thin mains cable. One of my meters cables has been badly singed with a soldering iron in the past and could really do with replacement. Any ideas where I might get some?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 5th Apr 2017, 7:54 pm   #2
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Supplier of thin three core mains cable

Would 0.5 sq mm type be thin enough? It's not always easy to discern overall diameter from listings but eBay throws up loads of suppliers with plenty of permutations. I know what you mean about some old gear having very thin three core leads, stuff that looks more suited to headphone than mains use, but I don't like to go too thin on the cores or insulation, if only for handling robustness sake!
Old 5th Apr 2017, 9:36 pm   #3
Silicon
Nonode

You could try Wilkos. I bought some white 3 core mains cable with a 5mm diameter from them.
Old 5th Apr 2017, 10:50 pm   #4
Andrewausfa
Octode

Thanks for the tips, the stuff fitted to the VTVMs is about 4mm across. It's not really an issue to go slightly thicker on the mid 60s larger meters but it becomes one on the earlier more portable VTVMs such as the TF1041 series where it all gets tucked inside the case. If it's too thick it gets all springy and comes out the hole again

Andrew
Old 5th Apr 2017, 11:48 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

If it's for your own use, just use some 300V rated 3-core 7/0.2 PVC cable with whatever colour cores you can find.

Something like this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multic...cable/7404490/

You can always slip a green/yellow sleeve over the end of whichever wire you use for earth!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Apr 2017, 11:12 am   #6
Silicon
Nonode

That cable is probably rated up to 300V DC.

240V AC mains peaks at 360V.
Old 6th Apr 2017, 12:48 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

No, it's 300V rms rated.

See spec attached:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0900766b80fb40c8.pdf (222.2 KB, 281 views)
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st May 2017, 6:20 pm   #8
Oldcodger
Nonode

Any little hardware or Shower shops around ? I always found them a good source of mains cable of many sizes locally and from what I remember there's more shops in your location.
Old 1st May 2017, 8:25 pm   #9
factory
Octode

The thinnest diameter cable with standard mains colours I could find a few years ago was the 0.5mm² type 2183Y, at the time Farnell had a 100m roll in grey being discontinued at a very reasonable price so I bought it, oddly they still sell the same cable but under a different cat. number.

It was bought to rewire an Advance SC1 counter where the original cables outer insulation was splitting, I have used it for a few other repairs since, the diameter is bigger than 4mm though.

David
Old 4th May 2017, 10:59 am   #10
Nicklyons2
Octode

have you looked at the thin silicone flex intended for soldering irons,? it's very very flexible and although 5mm I think that additional flexibility would compensate, plus you could just have a foot less length of lead to help further.
Old 4th May 2017, 11:55 am   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Here in Chipping Norton we have an independant electrical repair business with a shop who also sell appliances , light bulbs, etc. They stock a wide range of wirees & cables, including 2182Y & 2183Y, and will happily sell anything from a short length upwards. I've often bought electrical flex from them.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 4th May 2017 at 12:01 pm.
Old 4th May 2017, 1:31 pm   #12
Oldelectronics
Heptode

I agree with Silicon. I bought some white (Pity they dont do black) PVC 3 amp 3 core at 50p a metre from Wilkinson's as the hole in the chassis of my P45 is fairly small and I want to use a grommet. I also managed to get some plastic Cable clips I want use with nuts and bolts to stop the cable pulling through instead of tying a knot in it. These were off e bay and came very quickly considering they came from Hong Kong post free.

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003 P45 renovation 002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	142091  
Old 4th May 2017, 1:37 pm   #13
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I've just bought 100m of black 0.5mm 2183Y from Ireland off ebay for £21.52 inc postage.
Old 4th May 2017, 1:55 pm   #14
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Sam thats well good a real bargain It would be £50 retail and its black but for the amount I use it would probably never all be used as I dont always use the same type you can get some nice replica cotton covered 3 core which I like and if I want rugged I use black flexible 6 amp 3 core the other problem is I am running out of room!!
Old 4th May 2017, 5:15 pm   #15
Silicon
Nonode

I've just seen an ebay item from hfs specialties which claims to be approximately 4mm diameter black PVC 3 core 0.5mm flex. They sell it by the metre.

I have no previous knowledge or connection with that supplier.
Old 5th May 2017, 9:13 pm   #16
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklyons2 View Post
have you looked at the thin silicone flex intended for soldering irons,? it's very very flexible and although 5mm I think that additional flexibility would compensate, plus you could just have a foot less length of lead to help further.
I don't know if the cable Weller use for soldering irons is silicone, but the cable on one about 7 or 8 years old at work kept blowing fuses in the base station, on investigation the insulation of the inner cores had crumbled in the same way as the rubber wires/cables found on vintage stuff do.

David
Closed Thread