UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2017, 4:33 pm   #1
camtechman
Nonode

Default My New Addition To My 'EL3300' Collection WTH

As many of you know I have an extensive collection of original and genuine Philips EL33XX series cassette recorders, along with other manufacturers versions.

The latest acquisition has me puzzled......what were they thinking and why did they think it was practical?

It's a GE M8400 model and whilst it adheres to the Philips design & layout, take a look at the 2 following photos and tell me what's wrong with the operational arrangement.

Pic 1) Is a normal view of it laying down on a table, as would be the orientation for a Philips, with the controls nearest the operator but, note the printing in the function knob area........ it's upside down!

Pic 2) Is the view of it in an upright position, stood on end (that end has sled like feet so it stands firmly) and the printing is now oriented correctly.

But why, as per Pic 2, would you run it in that position ? my only thoughts were, as it has a carry strap it's printed that way so the printing on the controls can be read in that position.

After all, perhaps the designers wanted it to look like one of their upright radios?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8400 #1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	144950   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE M8400 #2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	144951  
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 10:51 pm   #2
ricard
Octode

Default Re: My New Addition To My 'EL3300' Collection WTH

But when carried you would still be viewing the controls from above, hence the legends would still be upside down in this position! I would think it more likely that it was intended to stand upright beside a radio, then the form factors would match.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 2:12 am   #3
camtechman
Nonode

Hi Ricard,

Yes I made an error in point 2) What I should have written was: "When carried the printing would be correct to a passer by, perhaps a sly advertising ploy"
Old 24th Jun 2017, 7:58 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Are the heads engaged in your pictures, or is the action "backwards" ?

As to the orientation thing, I can only agree with your speculation that they thought this machine looked better in an upright position. There certainly were contemporay Japanese and US radios styled that way, with perforated aluminium over the speaker at the bottom, the tuning scale and controls above and topped off with a carrying handle. It alludes nicely to them.

But it does not look as though the controls would be comfortable to operate with the machine upright. You would need to hold it steady from behind to engage RECORD! There was a good reason why "flat on a table with the controls nearest you" became the preferred orientation .....
Old 24th Jun 2017, 9:38 am   #5
camtechman
Nonode

Quote:
Are the heads engaged in your pictures ?
Yes, the heads are engaged.
Old 24th Jun 2017, 8:29 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

I used to have to use my EL3302 standing on end: it was the only way it would play reliably after I had dropped it. Possibly the flywheel had shifted along the shaft so that it rubbed on the support bracket when lying flat by cleared it when stood on end.
Closed Thread