UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2017, 6:00 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default B77 EOT sensor

Hi all, I'm in the process of refurbing a Revox B77 MkII HS machine. The end of tape sensor does not seem to be working but I can't work out if it's the sensor or a component further up the line. Before I try and obtain a replacement sensor, how do I check if the IR is working? If I cover the bottom of the sensor with tape all is well, but I'd still like to check the sensor itself.
Any advice (polite!) would be gratefully received.
Old 11th Jun 2017, 10:35 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: B77 EOT sensor

In what way is the sensor not working?

You can measure the change in voltage across the sensor depending on whether its 'lit' or dark.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 14th Jun 2017, 5:08 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

If its a photo resistor clip your DMM terminals on, resistance range and shine a bright light at it. If a photo diode, use the diode checker and shine a bright torch at it. Or is it a hall sensor, in that case a magnet will change it's parameters.

What ever sort of sensor it is, it's change in condition will probably switch a transistor off/on, which will turn a relay on/off. So if the sensor is ok, check what it's attached to Mike.

Hope that helps, Andy.
Old 18th Jun 2017, 10:44 pm   #4
Linnovice
Hexode

Hi Andy, long time no message. Thanks for the advice, I've not touched it for a couple of weeks. Been too busy. Hope to get back on it this week so will follow your suggestions. M.
Old 20th Jun 2017, 9:38 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
If its a photo resistor clip your DMM terminals on, resistance range and shine a bright light at it. If a photo diode, use the diode checker and shine a bright torch at it. Or is it a hall sensor, in that case a magnet will change it's parameters.

Hope that helps, Andy.

Its a photo diode and yes it does turn a transistor or two on and off.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread