UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:06 pm   #1
murphy512
Pentode

Default Bang & Olufsen 4002 Turntable arm not lowering

I am trying to fix this turntable for a friend of mine.
I do not have experience of turntables and this one seems rather complicated.
The controls seem to work, but the arm would not lower.
Has anybody had this problem and managed to fix it.
Any help will be greatly appreciate.
Thanks
Aldo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7898[1].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	218819  
Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:09 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Bang & Olufsen 4002 Turntable arm not lowering

THere is a solenoid which raises the arm or allows it to drop at a rate controlled by a dashpot.

With the arms moved over a rotating record press up and down, you should hear the solenoid make a 'clack' noise if so and the arm doesn't lower, then you've likely got a gummed up dashpot.

The wood trim around the front and sides is a one-piece assembly. It slides towards you as you look normally at the turntable. It takes a fair amount of force and only slides about 30mm.

With the trim slid towards you, the aluminium plates on top are released. The big plate with the hole for the platter can be lifted and unhooked. The rectangular plate beyond the position scale lifts at its right hand edge and unhooks.

Protect the stylus or unplug the cartridge, these are UNBELIEVABLY expensive. Underneath there are fixings at the rear which release the lid and the rear upstand of the plinth. Now the aluminium cover can be unfastened from the pivot end of the arms. Inside here is the solenoid and dashpot.

"Rather complicated" is an amazing understatement.

I have the 4000 which has a number of differences.

David
Old 24th Oct 2020, 9:15 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

It probably won't be the dashpot itself. If you look at the mechanism you’ll see that the solenoid and dashpot are connected by a lever which is pivoted. It is this pivot that causes the problem.

As you have gathered these turntables are complex, be very careful.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Oct 2020, 2:33 pm   #4
murphy512
Pentode

I have dismantled the solenoid, cleaned and lubricated all associated parts and the arm is now working.
The problem now is that the arm is sliding down the record.
I have watched a video and it shows that the motor driving the arm turns a little every few seconds. Mine keeps on turning continuously.
Getting even more complicated now!
Any idea?
Thank you
Aldo
Old 25th Oct 2020, 8:22 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

There is a lamp inside that mechanism which detects when the arm has moved slightly. It will need replacing.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 25th Oct 2020, 9:07 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I think they use the same type of bulb for the speed indicators and the one in the sensing arm, so maybe a temporary transplant could allow diagnosis.

Also you'll find the motor to leadscrew belt gets elongated and loses grip if you're checking things in this area.

David
Old 27th Oct 2020, 7:20 am   #7
PWH
Heptode

If the lamp Michael mentions is glowing, then the part that goes round it that blocks the light is misaligned. It has to be absolutely precise or the arm will keep going or lag behind if it is too far forward/behind.. The manual is available free on the web if you search and all the alignment procedures are in there.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 11:44 pm   #8
murphy512
Pentode

I have finally succeeded in sorting out the problem.
As PWH mentioned, the arm has to be absolutely precise and if it has moved even slightly right or left it will not work. In fact it was not working again after reassembling the unit, but after realigning the arm it worked.

I think my friend will be very pleased with the result and I am very relieved that I managed to repair it without damaging the cartridge.
I was shocked when I noticed the price of a used one!

Thank you all for your advice.
Aldo
Closed Thread