UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:14 pm   #1
CrazySwede
Tetrode

Default Platter spindle on Garrard Zero100s not centered

Hi!

I just noticed that the minor lateral movements of the tonearm on my Garrard Zero 100s is not due to off centered holes on the records but the spindle itself being off centered.

This is a single play Zero100 that has a short spindle that sits in a holder in the platter. It seems as if that holder is not aligned correctly with the platter (and therefore not to the bearing either). So the spindle has lateral movement with each revolution of the platter as shown in this video where I tried to film from the side. You can clearly see it moving i relation to the background.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/101A...ew?usp=sharing

The spindle holder (dunno what it´s prooper name is) seems to be screwed to the platter with three screws. Is there any way or method to release the screws and align the holder? Don´t think eyballing it will work .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201023_131300_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	218680

(sorry for blurred picture but I think it shows what I am trying to describe.
Tried to look this part up in the service manual but could not find it.

Thanks for any advice regarding this!
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:24 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Platter spindle on Garrard Zero100s not centered

Looks out of vertical has the the spindle or bearring assy being bent rather then out laterally.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 3:49 pm   #3
CrazySwede
Tetrode

Thanks for answering, Frank!
Looking att the platter rotating I cannot se any movement or other signs that it is not centered. So the bearing i think is ok. It seems as if the problem is how the spindle is attached to the platter.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 4:11 pm   #4
G6ONEDave
Octode

Does the platter rotate evenly or is there some vertical up/down movement at it's outer edges? If it does have some up/down rotational movement then it suggests the bearing or it's mounting or possibly the part of the platter being uneven where it sits on the bearing, which in turn could be causing the spindle to wobble. It might possibly be down to a deformed platter. A small block with a 90 degree edge, could be used to check that the spindle and platter are true with each other, then move on to the bearing mount and the part of the platter that rotates on it. Hope that makes sense.
Dave
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 4:13 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Fair enough you have the item to study.
To prove its not out of vertical alignment can you fit a longer spindle, anything that fits snugly but can easily be removed. Any out of vertical with the bearing will be much more noticeable.
I don’t know if the centre bearing is adjustable with those screws, never taken one apart.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 4:51 pm   #6
CrazySwede
Tetrode

There's no movement on the platter edges, vertical nor horizontal. Thanks for advice, I will investigate further.
Old 24th Oct 2020, 10:06 am   #7
CrazySwede
Tetrode

Well I did what I said I wouldn't do: adjusted by eyeballing . And it worked pretty good. Not perfect but noticeable less movement of the spindle and platter now.
I did it by releasing the three screws and try to move the bracket/holder slightly while looking down the hole and using the bearing shaft as reference.
Had to turn the bracket 240 degrees to get the best result.

Good enough for now, but thinking that maybe getting a spindle that sits in the bearing (think there are spindles for other garrard models that will fit here) could work as a template to get this bracket aligned properly. Depending of course on the diameters of that spindle and the hole in the bracket/holder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201024_103459.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	218766
Old 24th Oct 2020, 1:05 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Good news,