UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Oct 2020, 4:22 pm   #21
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: LOWE HF150 vs. HF225

Here is a video comparing LOWE HF150 and Yaesu FRG7700.
I think HF150 is the winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hviaHUdIdy8
Old 4th Oct 2020, 8:11 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There are previous threads about Lowe and it's Derbyshire location. A very helpfu, l personalised outfit that very much traded on it's reputation back then.
I spoke to them once when trying to help with a Silent Key situation [in the mid nineties] and they were very impressive.

Dave W
Old 5th Oct 2020, 12:59 am   #23
John KC0G
Hexode

Re. posts #18-20, there were several versions of the HF3 and HF4 receiver. At various times they have been sold under the AKD, Target, Nav-Fax, Si-Tex and Garex labels. Today they are sold by Nasa Marine. See: https://www.nasamarine.com/product/hf3w-ssb-receiver/
One version was badged by Lowe Electronics as the SRX-100. I have seen one reference to a Lowe SRX-200, but do not know if it actually existed. I have never seen a service manual for any of these radios. There are some rudimentary and incomplete schematics on the web.
Old 5th Oct 2020, 9:48 am   #24
Aub
Nonode

Interesting Jon,

I didn't realise the HF3 was still being sold. I bought one new in 1998. It cost, if I recall correctly, about £150. I sold it to another forum member a few years ago. It was a good little radio, but lacked a backlight for the display. I wonder if they ever fitted one?

Cheers

Aub
Old 5th Oct 2020, 11:58 am   #25
Julesomega
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I didn't realise the HF3 was still being sold
Nor me, that Target HF3 looks promising. A couple of differences show immediately: there's no mention of different AM detectors - maybe it is always synchronous, no need not to be if it works well. Then there's a rotary 'Clarify' which suggests to me that the tuning steps are 1kHz and it may also serve to offset the passband in the way described for the AOR and the Sony AMS mode

It's good here
Old 5th Oct 2020, 1:33 pm   #26
ORAWA01
Hexode

I saw a few HF3s for sale. In the beginning I wanted one of the HF3 because they were going for lower price, but I was overbid by other buyers every time. In the end, I gave up.
Is HF3 similar spec. radio to HF150? How would it compare in performance and general?
Old 5th Oct 2020, 7:01 pm   #27
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORAWA01 View Post
I saw a few HF3s for sale. In the beginning I wanted one of the HF3 because they were going for lower price, but I was overbid by other buyers every time. In the end, I gave up.
Is HF3 similar spec. radio to HF150? How would it compare in performance and general?
The short answer is no. The HF3 is far from a 'serious' receiver. I've had two in the past. The bandwidth is too wide for listening to SSB on a crowded band.
Old 6th Oct 2020, 11:50 am   #28
ORAWA01
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4aaw pete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORAWA01 View Post
The short answer is no. The HF3 is far from a 'serious' receiver. I've had two in the past. The bandwidth is too wide for listening to SSB on a crowded band.
I am glad then, I had been outbid on the HF3s
Thanks for your info.

The HF150 is working great. I was listening to usb signal on 4Mhz a few days ago, and it was communication between the Spanish fishermen on the fishing ships on the sea seemingly. The HF150 was receiving it very nicely with good classic usb audio.

It seems working great on MW and LW too. I am planning to look out for a good deal on a used / unwanted HF225 to add into my radio shack in near future.
Old 8th Oct 2020, 5:02 pm   #29
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

You could always try a 'wanted' ad here - you never know what folks might have here, but no longer use (that's not a veiled hint, I don't have an HF225 going spare myself).
Old 8th Oct 2020, 5:31 pm   #30
newlite4
Octode

I had an HF-125 (mechanically similar to the 225) some years back. It was being disposed of at work so I took it under my wing. It performed very well for around six months until the LCD readout started to fail. The only way to remove the LCD module was to peel back the front panel film to access the mounting screws so I left well alone and sold it on. Quite a disappointment at the time since it was a good performer otherwise.
Neil