UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2009, 10:16 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default French Minitel

Hi all,
I picked up a Philips Minitel2 unit for just 1€ at a flea market. It powers up & seems to work OK and I was wondering if it could be used without any subscription. (Only snag is that it's password protected.)
Or would it be better as a source of bits for other projects? Any other learned folk on here found a use for these gadgets?
Had a look on Wikipedia & it says that the minitel service is still up & running in France. Otherwise I know nothing about it. Any ideas
Cheers de Pete
Old 19th May 2009, 7:02 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: French Minitel

If nothing else, it's a 40x25 display terminal with a non-standard charset featuring embedded attribute codes and a built-in 1200/75 baud modem.

I have some memories of using a Minitel in France a long time ago, when you sometimes used to find them attached to payphones in bars and restaurants. 36 15 nom was the equivalent then of www.nom.com .....

To give you an idea how long ago it was, I was paying for the calls with Francs!

Last edited by Dave Moll; 19th May 2009 at 2:45 pm. Reason: fixed broken link
Old 19th May 2009, 11:59 am   #3
Steve
Tetrode

If you can follow French, there's information here about driving it from a linux box - http://furrtek.free.fr/index.php?p=crea&a=telinux

There's also a working demo here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qDQiClePE8

Steve.
Old 19th May 2009, 1:09 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

In the recent scrapyard challenge electronics event in Paris, they found one - Harold schellinx has an interesting paragraph on it in his write up of the day.
Closed Thread