UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2023, 8:06 am   #1
cowjam_
Diode

Default BT 8746 telephone question

Hello! I've just registered as this seems a perfect place for my question:

I've got a BT 8746 rotary dial telephone that I'm using as part of an electronics project. I'd like to make it ring, I've found the relevant connection points but I what voltage and current is it expecting?

I'm making it into a speaking clock - pick up the receiver and it'll tell you the time. I'd also like to be able to add alarms to it, which is why I want it to ring.

Thanks.
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 12:43 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: BT 8746 telephone question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowjam_ View Post
Hello! I've just registered as this seems a perfect place for my question:

I've got a BT 8746 rotary dial telephone that I'm using as part of an electronics project. I'd like to make it ring, I've found the relevant connection points but I what voltage and current is it expecting?

I'm making it into a speaking clock - pick up the receiver and it'll tell you the time. I'd also like to be able to add alarms to it, which is why I want it to ring.

Thanks.
66 volts ,25Hz A/C or thereabouts and current a few mlliamps for several bells.
See here for more info about various GPO/PO/BT 'Ringing Converters'.

You'll find and old GPO 'Speaking Clock' of the 1960's on 01352 83 8081 - usually in your free landline/mobile free calls package -not a premium rate number.

'8081' was the code for the Speaking Clock prior to it becoming '123' except for 'Director' areas where it used to be 846 ('TIM').

Good luck with the project.
Old 9th Jun 2023, 9:45 pm   #3
cowjam_
Diode

Default Re: BT 8746 telephone question

Thanks for the info. I'm not proficient enough to know how to change 3v DC to 66v AC, so I've replaced the ringer mechanism with a very small motor and two washers on a bit of thread as a flail, and it works well enough.

Here's a very brief video of it working:https://youtu.be/ePLxMWLDkbY

Thank you for your help
Closed Thread