UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2021, 4:50 pm   #1
MarkSimms
Diode

Default Studer A67 (B67) motor capacitor replacements

Hello,

I'm in the process of replacing capacitors on a Studer A67 tape machine and I'm trying to source some new motor caps as the original electrolytic dual section 6.5uF+1.5uF caps have splurged.

These are obviously very specific caps, value-wise, for the motors to run correctly and I was intending to use two individual caps instead.
The Studer circuit drawing has these drawn with no polarity, but being electrolytic I was a little confused about the polarity implications of using two new electro replacements. I have read elsewhere that some people are using polypropylene caps instead. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using polypro vs/ electros in this application?

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:06 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Studer A67 (B67) motor capacitor replacements

Hello Mark and welcome to the Forum.

Motor capacitors are non polarized, i.e. they are not electrolytic and have no polarity.

Modern motor caps are generally Polypropylene. Need to make sure they are rated for continuous usage, most will be.

David
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 5:31 pm   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

Are there two different caps to cater for 50 / 60Hz operation? If so you only need a single 8uf for UK operation.
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 7:06 pm   #4
MarkSimms
Diode

Thank you both for the quick replies and clarifications!

That's a good point about an 8uF cap as the 50Hz switch just puts them in parallel, ta.

Out of interest why were Studer using electrolytics in the 70's/80's for motor caps? Was this just because film caps available at the time were physically too big?
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 9:10 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSimms View Post

Out of interest why were Studer using electrolytics in the 70's/80's for motor caps? Was this just because film caps available at the time were physically too big?
They were not using electrolytics, they were paper I believe, but had to be rated at least 150 volts AC.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Jul 2021, 9:33 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I see from the Service Manual that these are used for the Supply and Take Up Spooling motors. A 3.5uF is used for the Capstan motor.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 22nd Jul 2021 at 9:36 pm. Reason: Typo correction
Closed Thread