UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2021, 11:18 am   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Sony TC510-2 Reel To Reel

A colleague is seriously looking at one of these. Any advice on its durability for repair and general parts and costs? He's really into the metered look of it and having Reel to Reel will become an on going experience for recording etc.

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 28th Jul 2021 at 12:28 pm. Reason: Advice on a model in general is OK, but on a specific auction falls foul of rule C4
Old 27th Jul 2021, 11:29 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony TC510-2 Reel To Reel

No knowledge of it, a lovely looking machine with Nagra pretensions.

David
Old 27th Jul 2021, 1:24 pm   #3
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
No knowledge of it, a lovely looking machine with Nagra pretensions.

David
Nice one David-yes we are big fans of Nagra looks and sounds - well posted
Old 27th Jul 2021, 1:27 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Values are inflated because it was used in a TV series, rather like the Japanese thing used in Thunderbirds. It works OK, but a Nagra it ain't. No recognised source of spare parts other than a scrapper.
Old 27th Jul 2021, 1:33 pm   #5
HECTOR63
Banned

Many thanks Ted so its a mutton dressed as Lamb jobby! Oh well glad I asked
Old 27th Jul 2021, 8:14 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECTOR63 View Post
Many thanks Ted so its a mutton dressed as Lamb jobby! Oh well glad I asked
Not really, it was quite a good machine for a portable reel to reel, 3 heads, good frequency response, servo motor etc etc.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jul 2021, 9:25 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

My point was that it isn't a Nagra (and I've owned one and fixed t'other), rather than to compare it with the Benskin Thunderbirds thing, which is dreadful. Think of a Uher 4000, go a bit flasher and less robust and add ferrite heads. Whether the 510 is worth the £6-700 prices sometimes demanded, and paid, is your call.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 11:08 am   #8
Radio Wrangler

Please don't discuss items for sale/auction elsewhere. This is an open forum and heavily scanned by search engines. Someone selling an item and doing a search is likely to see your remarks high in the search results. We live in a rather litigious no-win-no-fee world.

There is a solid reason for the ebay rules in the forum, and you might consider similar caution is appropriate to most other sales. You may be right about the condition of goods, but proving so might feel like a very serious inconvenience/expense.

Euphemisms don't seem to be terribly effective legal defences.

David
Old 28th Jul 2021, 11:22 am   #9
Restoration73
Nonode

The version you should be looking at is APR-2003. TC is a consumer device. It might be
very good but pro versions may have XLRs etc that are more robust.
I used to use the Marantz cassette recorders modified by Canford Audio as by that time my preferred choice (Uher 4200 Report Monitor) was no longer manufactured.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 1:43 pm   #10
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
The version you should be looking at is APR-2003. TC is a consumer device. It might be
very good but pro versions may have XLRs etc that are more robust.
I used to use the Marantz cassette recorders modified by Canford Audio as by that time my preferred choice (Uher 4200 Report Monitor) was no longer manufactured.
Many thanks for the advices on those products Im looking into those shortly on google.Many Many years ago when I was working with many Car Radios in our service department Uher were superb in this Genre and very fond memories of there graphic equalisers which were a favourite amongst many of our cutomers and couldent get enough of themSuperb company to deal with aswell and made some very fine car radio etc along with old school Sansui and Even top end Sharp along with the PIoneer Centrates etc-very happy days indeed.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 1:53 pm   #11
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Please don't discuss items for sale/auction elsewhere. This is an open forum and heavily scanned by search engines. Someone selling an item and doing a search is likely to see your remarks high in the search results. We live in a rather litigious no-win-no-fee world.

There is a solid reason for the ebay rules in the forum, and you might consider similar caution is appropriate to most other sales. You may be right about the condition of goods, but proving so might feel like a very serious inconvenience/expense.

Euphemisms don't seem to be terribly effective legal defences.

David
Point taken.
Old 28th Jul 2021, 2:26 pm   #12
HECTOR63
Banned

Just taken a view of one of these -very nice indeed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retro Version.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.9 KB