UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:43 pm   #21
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Norman parts and components...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horris View Post
Reel man I think that the shop you are referring to in Walthamstow is Radio Unlimited in Hoe Street.

Dave
Thanks Dave for the name, could not remember it myself. It’s been over 50 years since I was there. The wonderful sort of shop, once common across the country but nothing but a fond memory now.

Peter
Old 16th Jan 2022, 2:17 pm   #22
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Certainly Norman stuff was available in London in the 60s. I remember buying Norman “White Box” magnetic tapes from the shop near the Bell Pub in Walthamstow.
Still have a sealed one here now.

Peter
That'll have been from "Radio Unlimited", I often used to spend half of a Saturday there, & the other half in "Jobstocks", - St Mary road. I knew both of the proprietors well.
I also use a fair number of 'Norman ' branded components. Not sure about the quality of the white-box tapes though, -some 60 years on!

David.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 1:55 pm   #23
Bill
Pentode

I used to go and collect stuff from Norman Rose at Ardwick ,Manchester for work , phone the order in and you could pick it up shortly after. I don't remember them having delivery vans though. It was almost impossible to buy things there for your own ,hobby use, similarly at Radiospares and Farnell at that time. Definite "No!" unless you had an official order.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 7:56 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember buying a Norman-branded microphone matching transformer [to connect a low-impedance moving-coil mic to a high-impedance input] from Fenwicks in Wolverhampton some time in the mid-70s.

Norman was one of thiose brands that produced a range of acceptable-quality small-parts at not-too-wallet-frightening prices, similar to Altai and Eagle.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 8:21 pm   #25
paulsherwin

There were certainly Norman branded tapes in the late 60s. An uncle of mine named Norman bought me a few as Christmas and birthday presents - what a wag. I don't know where he bought them but he lived in Streatham and worked in the Peter Jones department store. Presumably the tapes were just generic white box jobs from random suppliers with the reels put in 'Norman' branded boxes.
Closed Thread