UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2020, 9:46 pm   #1
dfriedman
Triode

Default Rogers HG88

Hi to all
Yet - I've a Rogers HG88, no Mk #. Mine has: 2xEF86, 3x ECC83, 4x ECL82, 4x Sil rectifiers over the 2 old sections to create the bridge.
A schematic I obtained of the same as mine has 5x ECC83 - how is that?
An Mk II has 2x EF86 4X ECC83, 4x ECL86, GZ34 - so, this's not my version.
in an 8 page description a HG88 II, the component layout shows 2x EF86, 2x ECC83, 4x ECL86, GZ34. But the schematic here of HG88 II, shows 4x ECC83 - other tubes have the same count. Cannot be mine either.
So what's going on here & what's my version - even that it hasn't got a suffix? Can anyone of you explain this? I've no problem repairing it - have already determined that 2x 500o 3w resistors have gone "dry" + who knows what else...
Dany, Toronto, Canada
Old 4th Dec 2020, 11:14 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Rogers HG88

Don't forget that an ECC83 has 2 triodes in each glass envelope. It maybe that the drawing shows them as 4 x single sections and it has been labeled as 4 valves. I can't recall seeing any HG88 with 4 ECC83's. The version with 4 x ECL82 would be earlier than any version with ECL86 valves.
Old 5th Dec 2020, 10:49 am   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Rogers did have a bit of a habit of building different amps and giving them the same name. I think the HG88 might have been the worst in this respect. If the front panel is original and if it has no Mark no on it then I suspect that means it is some sort of Mk I (for obvious reasons no-one ever writes Mk I on anything commercial).

Cheers,

GJ
Old 5th Dec 2020, 4:31 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

Is it possible that this is a standard HG88 that someone has converted to ECL82 because the ECL86 tube is becoming scarce?
Old 6th Dec 2020, 5:04 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I very much doubt that. You can't readily substitute an ECL86 for an ECL82 as the anode load impedence is different. This would mean a change of output transformers - making for a very expensive downgrade!