UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2020, 5:55 pm   #1
allan
Pentode

Location: South coast near Ringwood/Christchurch, Dorset, UK.
Default Teac receiver-amplifiers

My Teac AG15D, bought new many years ago gave sterling service until I needed to fit a few new electolytics to restore power rails. Then it started to overheat and cut out so I fitted a computer fan to keep it cool (running at 6 volts to keep noise low), that works fine, but it now it needs a good thump to get it started and my XYL is complaining.
I now have a Teac AG-D200 bought cheap with "static in speakers" which I'm assuming is dry joints. Although I have the User Manual I can't find a repair manual (which might help in its repair). Does anyone know of such a thing or corrected dry joints in the AG-D200?
Allan G3PIY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	agd200.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	221861  
Old 21st Dec 2020, 10:31 am   #2
allan
Pentode

Default Re: Teac receiver-amplifiers

I took the AG- D200 amplifier apart, finding it was fairly similar in construction to the older AG-15D. Plugged onto the main circuit board was a circuit board carrying a set of 7 preamp and driver circuits. Hundreds and hundreds of solder joints with 50% cracked. Either it's poor solder or a poor soldering machine but anyone with an AG-D200 may also suffer from crackly audio.
Another problem was dry-jointed audio output relays. Not the switched connections, but the coil pins.
Allan G3PIY

Last edited by allan; 21st Dec 2020 at 10:36 am.
Old 21st Dec 2020, 11:57 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

I've seen bad joints in quantity produced in wave-solder machines if the solder gets contaminated (it was gold dissolution in this case - unlikely in consumer goods!) and when the acid flux foamer stopped but the rest of the machine ran on.

For some years Icom was notorious for bad joints in bulk. They obviously hadn't got their process under control. If it ain't workin' STOP! but sometimes production schedules are allowed to override common sense.

It's a lot of work refluxing and resoldering everything.

David
Old 21st Dec 2020, 12:07 pm   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Allan, it's a little bit difficult to untangle the exact sequence of events from your OP but one possible reading is that replacing the electrolytics fixed one problem but brought on another?

I don't know these units at all but is it possible that you have replaced electrolytics which were originally 'special' low-ESR types (as typically used in switch-mode power supplies) with common or garden electrolytics?. If so, what typically happens is that they work, but not for very long.
Old 21st Dec 2020, 2:06 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

As someone who collects and restores vintage hifi, I often find myself going over virtually all of the PCB solder joints in a set, yes that's hundreds of joints. But it's worth it, often the bad joints are not viewable as such with the naked eye, so I just go over them all. A classic is the thin ghostly grey ring around a component lead that otherwise looks like a good joint. Dry joints and copious cleaning of switches and pots generally cures most of the 'faults' in vintage hifi. I've had sets that are barely working, channels down, all kinds of things, but once the previous procedures have been carried out, all is fine, fully working!
Old 27th Dec 2020, 5:33 pm   #6
allan
Pentode

I tackled the AG-15D again and found I'd helped make it worse by connecting the new cooling fan to the supply delivered by the hottest regulator, so instead. I used one of the unregulated supplies powering the PA transistors and used a larger resistor to keep the 12 volt fan at about 4 volts (to keep it quiet).
The replacement capacitor was actually three new 2000uF in parallel so they would be OK ESR-wise.
The cutting out was due to dry joints at the relays used to switch on the output circuits.
The amp is now working perfectly.
The newer D200 is also OK now. I resoldered 700 bad joints on the circuit board driving the 7 output transistor-pairs. That amp also had dry joints at all its relays.
I think the bad board must have been in a Friday afternoon batch with rubbish flow solder. I now suspect the D200 had been through the hands of a previous repairer judging from lots of red & blue marks on various solder joints, pins etc and lots of resoldering at the power output transistors. Alas he'd missed the board with the 7 preamps and the bad soldering at the relays. Oddly in both amps it was the coil pins that were bad. The changeover connections had large pads with more solder and were blameless.
Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teacagd2001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	223259   Click image for larger version

Name:	teacagd2004.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	223260  
Old 27th Dec 2020, 6:46 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I tackled the AG-15D again and found I'd helped make it worse by connecting the new cooling fan to the supply delivered by the hottest regulator, so instead. I used one of the unregulated supplies powering the PA transistors and used a larger resistor to keep the 12 volt fan at about 4 volts (to keep it quiet).
The replacement capacitor was actually three new 2000uF in parallel so they would be OK ESR-wise.
The cutting out was due to dry joints at the relays used to switch on the output circuits.
The amp is now working perfectly.
The newer D200 is also OK now. I resoldered 700 bad joints on the circuit board driving the 7 output transistor-pairs. That amp also had dry joints at all its relays.
I think the bad board must have been in a Friday afternoon batch with rubbish flow solder. I now suspect the D200 had been through the hands of a previous repairer judging from lots of red & blue marks on various solder joints, pins etc and lots of resoldering at the power output transistors. Alas he'd missed the board with the 7 preamps and the bad soldering at the relays. Oddly in both amps it was the coil pins that were bad. The changeover connections had large pads with more solder and were blameless.
Allan
Inspectors use red felt tip pen to identify potential dry joints. Usually these are then re-soldered by hand before the set is finally tested and shipped. If you look at that nearest red marked joint in your photo you can see the tell take ghostly grey ring around the component lead. But it has not been re-soldered at the factory!
Old 27th Dec 2020, 6:47 pm   #8
paulsherwin

You really shouldn't have to add an aftermarket fan unless you're using the amp in extreme conditions. It suggests you still have an undiagnosed fault there.

Bad solder joints in the speaker protection circuitry seem to be very common for some reason. I had to reflow them in my Marantz amp a couple of years ago.
Old 29th Dec 2020, 4:44 pm   #9
allan
Pentode

You're right Paul
It was cutting out and I suspected overheating, because the low voltage regulators use a common heatsink which was getting very warm, but probably normal. It was probably just the relay coil pins dry-jointed.
I left the fan in place and the heatsink runs cool so I left it in place after I'd resoldered the relays.
All's well now
Allan
Closed Thread