UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2014, 11:21 am   #1
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Mechanical SSTV camera experiments

My project at the moment is a mechanical SSTV camera 8 second classic mode.
The project is on the NBTV forum in the off topic section.
The Forum is mainly on Mechanical Television such as John Logie Bairds Nipkow system. http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/

The above images were scanned by MMSSTV, I can do a few speeds so the image improves with speed, this one was at the mid range so 60 lines, I can do 120 but the image size drops but quality improves.
My mechanical SSTV monitor is in the off topic section as well using a glow paint drum and UV laser bit more to it but if interested just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEmc...ObW8LA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	felixthe cat2 8sec.gif
Views:	170
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	102074   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacegirl.gif
Views:	153
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	102075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 00128.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	102081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen light adjusted00113.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	102084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 00156.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	102085  

Last edited by dalekmoore2007; 29th Dec 2014 at 11:34 am.
Old 29th Dec 2014, 12:18 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: mechanical SSTV camera experiments

That's fascinating HD and your link to the Narrow Band Forum with the JLB letter as well. I'm round the corner from where JLB died in 1946 [as I keep saying ad-infinitum ]. I suppose all this NB info might go some way to explain why he stuck to the [apparently] outdated mechanical scan for so long. Personally I'm more interested in what he was doing after 1935 but these reconstructed devices are impressive.
Dave W
Old 29th Dec 2014, 1:23 pm   #3
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Re: mechanical SSTV camera experiments

Hi Dave
John Logie Baird had exceptional intellectual ability more than most of us today to do what he did with the junk they called electronics devices in the 1920s is amazing, it's much more interesting than controlling electrons in a CRT that's easy .

Funny you say out dated mechanical system as in fact it never died there are projection hand held televisions using mechanical vibrating Micro Electro Mechanical mirrors it has funny enough out lived the CRT so it's cutting edge technology!

I have no interest in HD digital TV I want to keep the technology that started it all alive in experiments not copying Baird as how many Nipkow TV's can you make but my own ideas and the many other designs from other forgotten inventors .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ido1800000je2h5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	102091  
Old 29th Dec 2014, 2:11 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Mechanical SSTV camera experiments

Ok Harry thank you for that. I did put out dated next to "apparently" as I suspected what you have just confirmed re the technology being long lasting!
Yes the Baird story is a bit of a puzzle. Even in the UK he's not really understood fully I think. Most people only remember him for the electro- mechanical work [if at all]. The British Tesla
DavE W
Old 30th Dec 2014, 4:21 am   #5
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Re: Mechanical SSTV camera experiments

Very much so Dave, what we are doing today had been invented in the 1930s it was a big version but did the same thing projection television. I sort of like mechanical television the scanning part as there are so many ways to do it and I never got a Meccano set as a kid making up for it now
Yes Baird did a lot of interesting work had the worlds first colour TV system more than once but 3 times first a mechanical system then a CRT with colour disk in 1939 and fully electronic colour TV in 1944, he had also been working on 3D CRT, the man should be remembered because for one he out did every one else in not just using one type of television system but he tried every thing and every thing he worked on he got going who else did that only thing that stopped him was death.
Closed Thread