UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2016, 1:18 pm   #1
double-triode
Retired Dormant Member

Default VHS Video Recording (looking for technical information)

Hi everyone,

I was unsure which part of the forum was best suited to this posting so my appolgies if this is slightly off-topic for this section.

I am looking for help and some technical information on VHS video recording which is now fast aquiring vintage status. I am interested in knowing what frequencies are used for recording the luminance signal onto the tape in UK PAL Standard VHS video recorders.

I have consulted Google but have failed to find full or convincing information. NTSC versions of VHS would appear to use 3.4 MHz for the sync-tips and 4.4 MHz for peak white but I should like to be able to confirm if this is the same for standard VHS on UK machines.

Does anyone know of information on UK VHS video recoring specifications on the Internet or indeed know the answer to my technical question?

Regards,

double-triode
Old 7th Feb 2016, 10:52 pm   #2
cubdiesel44
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: VHS Video Recording (looking for technical information)

Hi Des,
If you can find a copy of the Newnes engineers pocket book, you should find all the information you require.
It was written quite a while ago, but you may still get a copy, the author was Eugene Trundle.
I hope this helps, Chris.
Old 8th Feb 2016, 8:45 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just what I was thinking too! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...undle&_sacat=0
Old 8th Feb 2016, 11:21 am   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

A lot of the first generation VHS service manuals had good technical descriptions. Some in hilarious translations from Japanese.

Also Steve Beeching published some excellent books on VHS. Perhaps another member can help you with one or where to find one.
Old 8th Feb 2016, 11:28 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes. The Ferguson ones (3V29 etc) were superb.

Shame Des missed out on these: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=122670

Nick.
Old 8th Feb 2016, 12:13 pm   #6
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Excellent manuals indeed, Nick. I have the manuals for the 3V29, 30, 31 and 32. By far the best manuals I have seen.
Old 8th Feb 2016, 4:07 pm   #7
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hi guys. Does anyone have a manual for the 3V35?

Fivos
Old 8th Feb 2016, 4:16 pm   #8
double-triode
Retired Dormant Member

Hi again,

My thanks to Chris (cubdiesel44) and Nickthedentist for sugesting the books by Eugene Trundle. I followed Nicks ebay link and purchased a pair of his books.

Newnes Television and Video Engineer's Pocket Book and Videocassette Recorders (Questions & Answers) and at a whisker over £5 for the pair with free postage I thought it was pretty good value.

So fingers firmly crossed I will find the information I seek and doubtless find lots of other interesting items.

Thanks for taking the time to post.
Kind regards,

Des (double-triode)
Old 8th Feb 2016, 4:23 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Do try to get a 3V29 manual too. They're often available here for a couple of pounds in the "Offered" section if someone's having a clearout.
Old 9th Feb 2016, 3:30 am   #10
tony brady
Hexode

if you don't find what you're looking for please let me know. I worked at the J2T factory for a few months repairing mainly 3V31 & 32 and still have the training manual and 3V31 service manual for PAL versions. I might have the 3V32 as well, this is the long play version
Old 9th Feb 2016, 6:03 pm   #11
double-triode
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Tony and Nick,

Thankyou both for the pointers to VHS technical informatn.

Tony, the books I ordered should be with me within a few days so I will scan through them when they arrive and if they fail to cover all aspects I am interested in then I would indeed be very interested in obtaining the manuals you have.

Tony wrote:
if you don't find what you're looking for please let me know. I worked at the J2T factory for a few months repairing mainly 3V31 & 32 and still have the training manual and 3V31 service manual for PAL versions. I might have the 3V32 as well, this is the long play version .
*** end quote ***

I have long been interested in video recorders since the days of linear and early consumer reel-to-reel machines. My recent re-interest in the subject is because I have a hair-brained idea to press some of the existing VHS circuitry into another use but would like to read-up a little more to see if the idea is viable first. Working VHS machines sell here in Lincolnshire in charity shops for around £3 to £5 so plenty of raw matterial available

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

73,s

Des.
Closed Thread