UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:25 pm   #1
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Default Pilot Major Maestro IF coil trouble

Hi All,
I have acquired a nice 1940 version (MW & SW) of this radio that had not been used for a very long time. I have restored a fair bit of the set to run it but when I found that V1 wouldn't oscillate I found that the 1st IF coil secondary, L10, reads about 600K ohms and rather suprisingly the secondary of the 2nd IF, L12 is open circuit! I am amazed at this bad luck. The set hadn't obviously been stored badly or 'got at' and wondered if the IF coils on these sets are known for weakness or 'green spot' troubles. If anyone can help me find replacement coils I'd love to hear from them. The IF frequency on this set should be 451 KHz. Trader sheet is 479.
Thanks.
Old 27th Nov 2017, 11:42 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Pilot Major Maestro IF coil trouble

I don't think they suffer any more than other radio's. Chances are it's been damp at some time or subjected to wide temperature changes. Might be worth taking the transformers out, removing the cans and checking the thin wires where they connect to the tags. You might be lucky.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 12:32 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I've had some IFs where the coil former has twisted when the twiddler played with it, snapping the fine wires off the solder tags, you may get lucky and be able to reconnect the ends.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 1:50 pm   #4
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Thanks for the suggestions Gentlemen, I'll take out the coils and have a microscopic inspection.
- George
Old 28th Nov 2017, 2:42 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

After 70 odd years, you could hardly call this a 'weakness'! They are well past their design life.
Old 28th Nov 2017, 8:18 pm   #6
Atlantic 52
Pentode

Gents,
I have managed to repair the 2nd IFT L12, the lead wire was bad under the wax! So, with that repaired I now have IFT1 to worry about. I took it to pieces and examined it very carefully under high magification. Nothing obviously wrong with what is visible so I guess it's beyond a simple repair. Would anyone in the forum be able to help in finding me a suitable substitute? The IF is 451KHz and both windings should be about 9 ohms.
I enclose some photos so you can see it.
Many thanks,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0027.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	153057   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0038.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	153058   Click image for larger version