UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2018, 4:15 pm   #1
speigel
Diode

Default Revox A77 VU meters on playback

Ive just acquired a MK1 A77, and I was wondering if anyone has upgraded one so that the meters work on playback as well as record. Thanks, Robert
Old 23rd Mar 2018, 8:57 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox A77 VU meters on playback

A77 VUs don't operate on playback except on the Dolby version, which has considerable detail redesign of the electronics, aside from the incorporation of the Dolby circuitry. I'd be inclined to leave well alone - there are other issues with the Mk 1, notably soft heads which have a different fixing from later types.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 10:42 am   #3
lesmw0sec
Octode

If I recall, you can switch the track1 -> track2 and monitor the playback on the meters without re-recording.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 2:19 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quite so, but the level on the meter is dependent on the record gain setting, so without calibration the reading is meaningless.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 5:12 pm   #5
lesmw0sec
Octode

How do you know it is 'meaningless' unless you know what the OP wants it for? A general indication that something is on the tape might do the job.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 5:20 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I agree - I find it's handy for cueing to know when the music starts without having to use headphones. In fact having the controls set too high helps in this case. I think that the L and R channel meters are reversed when done like this, though I might be wrong.
Old 24th Mar 2018, 10:56 pm   #7
speigel
Diode

Thanks everyone. Its quite right, the meters do register if you set the record controls to I-II and II-I, although the meters are switched and are dependent on the level set. I don't actually need them for any reason, just like them registering when playing.
Closed Thread