UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2018, 11:39 am   #1
placemat
Triode

Default 7 Pin Din Wiring help...

Hello!
I have a Revox PR99 MKII reel to reel that also has the Revox monitor speaker with it. It connects via the 7 pin din cable which is long enough if both items are set up in the rack, but I have since taken the PR 99 out of the rack and placed it upright with the monitor speaker on the shelf above. The seven pin audio cable now will not reach. I have looked everywhere to see if there are any seven pin din extension cables, but I've had no luck.
I can easily get seven pin din male and female plug ends, but I'm not sure what type of cable it is or how to wire them up correctly.
If anyone can help, I will be very grateful.
I've attached an image of the plug that I need to extend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	566
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	158490  
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 12:13 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: 7 Pin Din Wiring help...

Simplest way to do this is to slide back the cover and remove the shell from the existing plug - this will show you which, and how many, pins are being used. Then all you need is screened cable with enough cores, and away you go. You just need to wire the extender pin-for-pin, but make sure you connect the screen to the right pin - this is usually pin 2 which, confusingly, is the middle pin...!
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 2:02 pm   #3
placemat
Triode

Many thanks Ted,

It's such a shame that I cannot find a male to female cable or even a female to female adapter. I have exactly this for a five pin din audio cable, but finding it for seven pin is near impossible!
Many thanks again for your help.
Steve.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 3:36 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
pin 2 which, confusingly, is the middle pin...!
Presumably because the five-pin and seven-pin connectors are extensions from the three-pin one where the pins are labelled in sequence with 1 and 3 either side of 2 - then 4 and 5 inserted between and finally 6 and 7 added on the ends. That way the pins common to more than one plug retain the same numbers.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 5:57 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

This may be irrelevant, but Blaupunkt at one time used 7 & 8 pin DIN connectors with their car stereos and amplifiers. In those a multicore cable with an overall outer screen was used. No doubt necessary in a vehicle, an overall screen may not be essential for domestic use. A complication is that there are or were, two types of 7-pin DIN connector - in one the pins are arranged in a kind of 'horseshoe' shape, whilst the other has them in the shape of a Circle.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:11 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

You'll also need a steady hand and good eyesight - horrible things to wire
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:11 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

The 7 pin DIN with all pins on a circle is sometimes found on Philips cassette recorders, but only a 5 pin plug is needed: the two extra pins are generally connected directly to the record/playback head and are presumably only used during manufacture for adjustment.

I have never come across a 7 pin extension lead or any back-to-back adapters, but Maplin always used to stock the plugs.
Old 2nd Mar 2018, 6:49 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
A complication is that there are or were, two types of 7-pin DIN connector - in one the pins are arranged in a kind of 'horseshoe' shape, whilst the other has them in the shape of a Circle.
I've come across both types of 8 pin DIN (outer pins in a circle, or 2 pins offset from the circle), but never seen anything other than the 'circular pinned' 7 pin DIN. Where was it used?
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 12:46 am   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

I've got a couple of 7 pin extenders.
They are part of my "Autocom" motorbike comms system.

https://www.autocom-shop.co.uk/produ...lead-straight/

You won't like the price though!

That said they are waterproofed "Click lock" plugs and sockets for heavy duty use.

But I made my own custom leads up for a permanent fit to the bike and saved a fair bit.

A.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 11:43 am   #10
camtechman
Nonode

There is also another rarer 7 pin DIN plug & chassis socket, mainly used on ITT cassette recorders.

It has a longer metal shroud which activates a switch within the chassis socket and used with their microphones with a remote switch. The same combination is also used on a Grundig C200 deluxe cassette recorder & GDM 305 microphone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin #1.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	158532   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Pin #2.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	158533  
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 2:14 pm   #11
ben
Dekatron

I was going to say car cd changer cable. I have one somewhere and I am sure it has male one end female t'other. like this
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 2:30 pm   #12
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The one in the above link is eight-pin.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 2:49 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

Not all extenders connect all the pins. Buying anything which has a 7 pin plug at one end and a 7 pin socket at the other won't necessarily work.

The only certain approach is to slide back the plastic cover of the cable you have and see what needs to be connected.

Sometimes you'll find several cores inside a single braided screen, sometimes you'll find cores in individual screens. You have to look to be sure.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 4:39 pm   #14
Goldie99
Heptode

Or, if you prefer the comfort of your desk - the full schematics & service manuals are on the hifiengine.com website. From a very quick glance, it looks like there's only 4 terminals actually in use.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:47 pm   #15
Dai Corner
Hexode

Given the incremental design of DIN plugs, would an 8 pin to extension lead work (perhaps with a little surgery to the male end to remove one pin)?

This ebay seller claims his 8 pin lead can also be used for 5 and 7 pin applications and is fully wired (example, not endoresement).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/292002935121

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/291950834650
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:45 pm   #16
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I would have thought that an eight-pin plug with the centre (eighth) pin amputated should fit in a seven-pin socket - and there shouldn't be any problem in the other direction.