UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2020, 9:48 pm   #1
n.kelly3613
Triode

Default JVC 3060UK Tape recording level too low

Hi all,
I have a JCV 3060UK 50hz 240v tv/radio/cassete combo and I am having issues with recording levels. I have cleaned both heads with isopropyl alcohol and no difference. Recording from radio is a small bit too quiet. Recording from the built in microphone is a bit quieter however recording from the 5 pin din input is so quiet, I have to turn the volume all the way up during playback and it's barely recognisable. Very faint music in the background of the hissing from the tape. I have tried 3 different input devices all the same, all at maximum volume. The source dial is also set to Source only, no Mic. I can't find much information about this radio. I would assume its some capacitors of sort that needs replacing but I don't have experience with tape decks. Also I believe the tape deck is slightly slow and I can't find any adjustments for the speed on the motor (I know it has a mechanical governor). If anyone knows how I can fix the recording levels I would appreciate it. If you also know about the tape speed adjustment/fix I would also appreciate it. Thanks to anyone reading and helping.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 11:33 pm   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: JVC 3060UK Tape recording level too low

What is the source (make and model number if possible) and what sort of cable are you using to connect to the DIN socket?
Old 11th Jul 2020, 11:54 pm   #3
n.kelly3613
Triode

Hello, thanks for replying. The cable I am using is a 3.5mm jack to 5 pin din. The devices I have tested are: Samsung galaxy s7, Samsung galaxy tab s3, my windows 10 computer and I also tried my Murphy MW5775A. All with the same result. The cable works because I hear the music I am trying to record when I connect the audio connector to the input and it at a good, loud volume. Its just really quiet when I play back the tape. I dont think it's the fault of the input device or cable due to the low recording level with radio and mic too. Maybe a potentiometer inside would change the level?
Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:40 am   #4
n.kelly3613
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
What is the source (make and model number if possible) and what sort of cable are you using to connect to the DIN socket?
I attached a picture of the board behind the tape deck mechanism, I found a potentiometer on it, not sure what it does. Should I try turning it a bit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200712_003755.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	210811  
Old 12th Jul 2020, 11:10 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

Give that long rec/pb mode switch a dose of switch cleaner then work it back and forth 20 times, if you haven't already.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 11:30 am   #6
Andrew2
Nonode

DON'T start twizzing pots at random or you'll end up in a state of utter confusion.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 12:45 pm   #7
n.kelly3613
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Give that long rec/pb mode switch a dose of switch cleaner then work it back and forth 20 times, if you haven't already.
I have already tried spraying contact cleaner into all the switches and potentiometers which made no difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
DON'T start twizzing pots at random or you'll end up in a state of utter confusion.
I'm not going to just turn a load of them, I'm also aware not to touch the aluminium cuboid ones with the flathead screw in them. What I mean is could I turn the potentiometer I found inside to see if anything changes, if nothing I'll turn it back to how it was. (I'll take a picture of what position it's at before I turn it)
Old 12th Jul 2020, 1:14 pm   #8
ben
Dekatron

The next step would be to get the circuit diagram and look at the recording circuitry, preamp etc. I recently had to trace out that side of the circuit from an old cassette unit I had no diagram for, I did it by tracing the route from the pins on that long rec/pb mode switch when in 'rec' position. Though I appreciate that is not easy, especially if you have not done it before.

If playback is fine then at least you know the fault can be narrowed down to a few suspect components.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 1:26 pm   #9
paulsherwin

You say you are using phones as sources. The output level of a phone headphone socket is pretty low unless you turn the volume up to maximum. Even then it will be lower than a standard line level source such as a CD player.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 2:45 pm   #10
n.kelly3613
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You say you are using phones as sources. The output level of a phone headphone socket is pretty low unless you turn the volume up to maximum. Even then it will be lower than a standard line level source such as a CD player.
I understand what you are saying however when the input device is connected and the mode switch is on tape, the input audio plays through the speaker very loud and clear. Only needing about 5% of the volume dial to be very comfortable to listen to. My Murphy radio outputs the same volume from the headphone jack that is playing through the speaker. I tried connecting that but turning up the volume a small amount made it go incredebly distorted and the tape volume was even quiter. I have also tried turning down the input volume just to try and it still stays the same.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 6:30 pm   #11
Boulevardier
Octode

One thing I can't get clear in my mind from what you've said so far - are old tapes (ones that have always played back ok in the past) also affected by the fault, or are they still playing back OK? That's important information, but sorry if I've missed it in what you've said so far.

Mike
Old 13th Jul 2020, 9:35 am   #12
Spec-chum
Tetrode

My father had an old Hitachi radio/cassette which had a tape monitor switch(low,med,high), and this set the record level. It would override the volume control too when recording. The switch might be hiding on a side panel, rear panel, or battery compartment.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 9:44 am   #13
G6ONEDave
Octode

I suspect that the bias oscillator circuit is the problem. You don't specify if the cassette tape that you are recording onto is blank (unused) or one with a previous recording on it. If you try to record again over the area of tape that you tried, that has the low volume playback, my thoughts are that yopu will have both the previous low level recoring along with the second recording. Things to check are broken joint to the erase head, bad switch contact on the long changeover switch or a problem with transistor ref X903 (JE9014) or it's associated circuit.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 2:48 pm   #14
n.kelly3613
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulevardier View Post
One thing I can't get clear in my mind from what you've said so far - are old tapes (ones that have always played back ok in the past) also affected by the fault, or are they still playing back OK? That's important information, but sorry if I've missed it in what you've said so far.

Mike
Old tapes that are allready recorded are completely unnafected by the recording level issue, they do all play a bit slow though.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 3:24 pm   #15
G6ONEDave
Octode

Do you mean that when you put an old tape that has already got a recording on it into the tape mech and then select record mode,the previous old recording is removed and all that is left is the newly recorded low level content? If this is the case then the erase bias oscillator would appear to be OK. Have you tried a signal going into the microphone socket? If that is OK does radio record correctly? Pins 1nd 4 on the DIN appear to be input for recording.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 3:31 pm   #16
Boulevardier
Octode

Dave. My reading of what the OP said is that "old" tapes play back OK, and it's just the attempt to make new recordings that's at fault. In which case I agree with your former diagnosis that the first place to look is the HF oscillator circuitry.

We don't know what, if any, test instruments the OP has got, and he will struggle in the dark if he doesn't have any at all.

Mike
Closed Thread