UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 6:10 pm   #1
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Default Roberts R600 not working

Picked up this Roberts R600 which is a nice looking radio and my 1st venture away from Hacker's.....thought I would try something different.
Nice looking radio and the casing has cleaned up lovely but the internals are not working all all when you connect a battery.....completely dead with no sound or noises from the speaker.
what would be the 1st things to check?.....I'm still new to this forum and are learning all the time from you fellow members so all help appreciated
I've downloaded the schematics ready
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_120002.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	143439   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_115955.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	143440   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_115934.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	143441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170526_115926.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	143442  
Old 27th May 2017, 6:15 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Roberts R600 not working

Earphone jack, as there is no sound coming from the speaker. You could also measure the battery current to see if the on/off switch works.

Ron
Old 27th May 2017, 6:47 pm   #3
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
Earphone jack, as there is no sound coming from the speaker. You could also measure the battery current to see if the on/off switch works.

Ron
Can you tell me how to do that, I do have a multi meter, as I said I'm new to this and showing me a few basic steps will help....thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 7:00 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Use a meter on a current range to measure the current flowing out of the battery.

Spray some contact cleaner in the earphone socket and then push a plug in and out a few times.

Unfortunately these radios are not a great choice for the inexperienced. They contain both AF11x and Lockfit transistors, both of which are prone to faults. These are contained within Mullard RF and IF modules which are difficult to remove. There are writeups of servicing these modules on the net if you google, but it's not for the faint hearted.
Old 27th May 2017, 7:19 pm   #5
Station X

Set your meter to a current range and be sure to put the leads in the correct sockets. They're often not the same as those used for voltage and resistance measurements.

Connect the meter leads to the contacts of the OFF/ON switch. With the switch in the OFF position the meter will show how much current the set is drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuboy57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post

Ron
Can you tell me how to do that, I do have a multi meter, as I said I'm new to this and showing me a few basic steps will help....thanks

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th May 2017, 7:36 pm   #6
nebogipfel
Pentode

I recommend you have a look at Graham's excellent Youtube channel.

He has tackled several R600's and other Roberts sets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDj...8Cjw/playlists
Old 27th May 2017, 7:38 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
the internals are not working all all when you connect a battery.....completely dead with no sound or noises from the speaker.
what would be the 1st things to check?
Total silence is the best kind of fault, to be honest -- it usually means that the underlying problem is simple, such as no power getting through to the circuit or no signal getting to the speaker.

First test, meter on 20V DC (⎓) range, across C24 (Trader sheet) and close the power switch S16. You should see 9V. If not, set meter to 200mA DC, black probe to terminal of S16 that is connected to black battery lead, red probe to "circuit" terminal of S16 (so you are using the meter to bypass S16). If you now get life (and a reading of a few tens of mA) that suggests S16 could be faulty. If the set is still silent but some current is flowing (10mA or less), try temporarily connecting a speaker (just about any one will do) between C23 negative and battery negative. If this works, the fault must be with the earphone socket or the speaker.
Old 27th May 2017, 8:07 pm   #8
canonman75
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebogipfel View Post
I recommend you have a look at Graham's excellent Youtube channel.

He has tackled several R600's and other Roberts sets.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDj...8Cjw/playlists
I'll second that

R600's can be pretty scary to work on but they do sound excellent when they're working properly.
Old 27th May 2017, 8:47 pm   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

I'll third that, just for his mellifluous voice
Old 27th May 2017, 9:27 pm   #10
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Well firstly thanks for all the kind plugs for my YouTube channel. I think Ron has probably hit the nail on the head with the headphone jack as if the module has packed up you will still get some sounds from the speaker. I have sacrificed a Roberts R600 so as I can test refurbished modules so if you need a hand with it then let me know. It will be fun.

Regards

Graham
Old 28th May 2017, 11:33 am   #11
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all your comments and help.....this will give me plenty to go on and make a start and see what happens......also big thanks Graham with your You Tube channel.....have been watching your restoration on the R600......this is going to help me big time......if the AF117's have to be replaced can I use AF137's?
will keep you guys updated with progress.......really enjoying this
Old 28th May 2017, 11:44 am   #12
paulsherwin

AF137s should work if you can find some, but they are very uncommon. The AF124-7 is the safest replacement and not difficult to find, though they have become pricey nowadays. There are lots of threads on AF11x replacement if you search the forum.
Old 28th May 2017, 11:58 am   #13
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The Russian GT322 Transistors, usually available on eBay for around £1 each make good replacements for AF11x transistors. They have leads approx 25mm long, which makes them easier to fit than AF12x series devices.
Old 29th May 2017, 9:09 am   #14
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Quote:
......also big thanks Graham with your You Tube channel.....have been watching your restoration on the R600......this is going to help me big time......if the AF117's have to be replaced can I use AF137's?
will keep you guys updated with progress.......really enjoying this
Thanks I'm glad it's helping. As it's the module, I would go with what Paul suggests and use the AF12x series. The AF125 is a good choice and are available at a sensible price from this seller http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=251921696821. You will need 3. Don't forget to replace the electrolytic capacitors as well.

Good luck

Graham
Old 29th May 2017, 9:33 am   #15
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Graham....yes will purchase some AF125's, they are really cheap from www.buy-transistors.com at only £1.91 each so will buy a few as I have a couple of Hackers where they need replacing
Can you point me to the electrolytic capacitors, which ones they are? sorry a lot of these is new to me but I'm determined to get the radio working
In fact just picked up a HMV battery radio for £0.92p, not sure if working but tuning dial is stiff
just need to finish watching the rest of the Roberts R600 videos now
many thanks....Stuart
Old 29th May 2017, 9:07 pm   #16
WaveyDipole
Nonode

If you want to try the Russian GT322's then I have some left over from a previous repair of an R200 so could send you a couple. Just PM me.
Old 30th May 2017, 9:18 pm   #17
stuboy57
Retired Dormant Member

The radio is working superbly on all three wavebands and boy is the volume loud.......I am so pleased to been able to fix this, well overjoyed.
Yes as a lot of you suspected it was the earphone socket, I de-soldered the connections, the red wire touched the casing and I got noise through the speaker....next the earphone socket was out and dismantled as Graham's YouTube vid, but this one is slightly different as picture shows, that fluff on the cocktail stick is what came out the inside, so cleaned all connections, recleaned the perspex face and touched up the back, sprayed contact cleaner in all the switches and pots, re-soldered the wires back, tried it out... Bingo!!!, working, no crackles, all crystal clear... cleaned casing up and it's all back together, well pleased
Will post the final pictures later in the week
I don't think any components want changing as it sounds so good
A big thanks to all you guys for the comments and recommendations, and especially Graham's YouTube clips where I gained a lot of knowledge

next on my list is a Robert's R300

Thanks again everyone, what a great forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170530_120601.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	143611  
Old 30th May 2017, 9:33 pm   #18
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

That's my boy!

Well done, Stu. Most radios and televisions have their "stock faults", perhaps weak points in the original design, or common components that have aged badly. As you gain experience, you'll learn them, the same way that the old radio shop guys did.

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by frankmcvey; 30th May 2017 at 9:40 pm.
Old 31st May 2017, 8:30 am   #19
Radiocruncher
Hexode

Well done Stuart. Sounds like you didn't have to delve into the module either which is a bonus. Probably on borrowed time though unless the module has been done in the past. I'm glad that my videos helped. I take the headphone sockets apart on all the top panel mounted ones and clean them as they have caused a couple of sets to fail. I do like the sound of these radios when they are sorted. On to the next one now then.

All the best

Graham
Old 31st May 2017, 9:27 am   #20
paulsherwin

As Graham says, the transistors will fail eventually, but it might be tomorrow or twenty years from now. At least you now know what's involved when the time comes, and can postpone the job until you have more experience.

The R300 does contain 3 AF117s too, but they are much easier to change if necessary, and a large number of replacements will work because of the relatively low frequencies involved.
Closed Thread