UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2017, 12:05 am   #41
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Guilty use of old equipment

I was given a Tripletone valve amp a lot of years ago and keep meaning to find it again and sort it out properly. It already had a hard time when I got it, used by a heavy handed teenager for most of it's sad life. The heater circuit was intermittently shorting to the case but miraculously the transformer survived. Most of the knobs were missing (and still are) being the dual concentric type and hard to find. I think it's got bass middle and treble (tripletone!) controls which is unusual and I think it uses 6BW6's and ECC83's with an EZ80 rectifier. It's built "on it's side" and the slide on perforated metal covers vibrate in sympathy with the mains transformer if they came loose. It runs very hot too. Must give it another airing sometime.
Old 14th May 2017, 12:25 am   #42
Sideband
Dekatron

I still have my first Hi Fi amplifier purchased from Laskys in 1973, an Akai 5200. It's not in regular use at the moment as I'm restoring it. Actually the electrical work is done, just the front control panel left to restore the lettering.

At the moment I am using a Leak Delta 70 which I rescued from a skip and it just needed a couple of capacitors replacing and the quiescent current setting up. I actually think it sounds better than the Akai. This is coupled up to a valve Leak Troughline Stereo tuner which I rescued from a workshop clear-out. There were two small problems with the Troughline...the EM84 didn't respond to tuning due to a capacitor being leaky and there was an intermittent sensitivity problem due to a faulty contact in a valveholder (ECF80). With both those problems sorted, the Troughline gets regular use and I have to say is the best FM tuner I've had in terms of sound quality....it really does sound superb. The most modern piece of equipment I have is a 1985 CD player, a Philips CD207 which has had only a couple of repairs during it's 32 years. To complete the system is a 1987 Marantz direct drive record deck and a pair of 1988 Philips 3-way speakers with passive bass radiators. These had the foam surround on the bass speakers replaced about 12 years ago.

So I unashamedly use old equipment and love it!
Old 14th May 2017, 8:50 am   #43
vidjoman
Dekatron

My oldest equipment in use and powered 24/7 are my Quad Electrostatic speakers. Made in the late 50's they had faults when I got them which I repaired. Treble panels were damaged, but still worked, and had to be replaced and all the resistors and caps in the audio transformer can were replaced as it's easier to do whilst it's apart. The EHT board was generally good and only one resistor replaced on each with an uprated part as they showed signs of having run hot. I know the previous owner had them from new and never turned them off with the only exception being during the power cuts in the 1970's. Basically they have been powered up for around 60 years.
Closed Thread