UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2005, 1:27 pm   #1
brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default Valve radio auxiliary input sockets.

HI guys,
I have recently purchased a Stromberg-Carlson model 355 valve radio from about 1932. I was wondering how I go about getting an AUX input for my Ipod? On the back it has 3 plug holes with the words Pick Up above them.

Any ideas?? I love the sound but where I live in Australia we only have 1 AM station which is mostly talk back.

Cheers
Brett

Last edited by Darren-UK; 30th May 2007 at 7:05 pm. Reason: Spelling errors corrected for the benefit of the search facility ( Namely, make of radio ).
Old 29th May 2005, 2:48 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Aux input on Valve Radio????

I don't know this radio, but most pickup(US)/gram(UK) inputs are designed for a high impedence high output crystal cartridge producing about 1V. One of the sockets will be ground, and another will be signal. I don't know what the third is for in this case, you'll need to trace the wiring.

A headphone output will struggle to drive this input properly because it is intended to drive a low impedence load. You can improve things by using a stepup audio transformer, such as a transformer from a scrap transistor radio. Alternatively, you could build a simple preamp using an op-amp chip or even a single transistor.

An alternative approach is to build or buy an AM microtransmitter to 'broadcast' to the radio. You should find lots of info about this if you search this forum for 'transmitter' or 'modulator'.

You might like to try using the radio with a decent longwire aerial and earth connection. These radios were intended to be used with aerials more than 10 metres long, the longer the better. You'll be surprised what you can pick up even in rural Australia, especially after dark.

Good luck, Paul
Old 29th May 2005, 2:56 pm   #3
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Paul, Just a question that has always eluded me, is it safe to use the pick-up input on a valve radio if the chassis is an ac/dc transformerless one?. Even if the mains is connected in the correct polarity. Is the earth to these inputs isolated or normally connected straight to the chassis.
Old 29th May 2005, 3:04 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Keith
Paul, Just a question that has always eluded me, is it safe to use the pick-up input on a valve radio if the chassis is an ac/dc transformerless one?. Even if the mains is connected in the correct polarity. Is the earth to these inputs isolated or normally connected straight to the chassis.
Andrew, most AC/DC radios don't possess gram sockets. Those that do have the earth connection isolated by a capacitor, though I'd still be wary of using it unless the capacitor was changed for a modern X2 rated component.

Best regards, Paul
Closed Thread