UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jul 2021, 12:36 pm   #1
pentoad
Hexode

Default Cream DAC90A cabinet colour

I read somewhere maybe on this forum, that Bush started to spray paint the cabinets ivory at some point because they where having problems with heat from the dropper resistor discolouring or even cracking the cabinet - is that a myth?
I haven't been able to unearth any evidence of this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cream paint.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	238536

Last edited by pentoad; 31st Jul 2021 at 12:46 pm.
Old 31st Jul 2021, 1:00 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Cream DAC90A cabinet colour

Here's the evidence, a set I bought twenty-odd years ago with about half its cream paint flaked off. The rest came off very easily with a spatula revealing a colour unlike as far as I know any DAC90A that was ever marketed. Whether they made any quantity of these I couldn't say: the serial number is high, 73/227666, but I think I've seen at least one set in a moulded cream cabinet with a later number. Cracking from heat stress is, I'd say, more often seen than not in cream 90As these days, so I quite expect it would have become apparent in a good few of them after six or seven years' use: and the model seems to have had longer than that in production - I've seen a reproduced sales leaflet which included both the DAC90A and the TR82.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2258a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	238537  
Old 31st Jul 2021, 1:10 pm   #3
bobhowe
Heptode

Default Re: Cream DAC90A cabinet colour

Hi David dont know if its true or a Myth but there was some painted red & green ? .The mark inside your ivory cabinet is glue that secures the Royalty Plate discussed in another thread
Closed Thread