UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 24th Jun 2021, 12:28 pm   #1
simonjp
Tetrode

Default AR88D dial plate

Just finishing off the restore of my AR88. Here is a tip, never use ECO Foam Cleaner on the dial plate.

What I thought was nicotine, was in fact the yellow colouring and numbering.

Anyone with any thoughts? Anyone on the forum restoring those plates or have a spare?

I managed to dab the cleaner off the smaller plate and it still looks useable, but the main dial is a right off.

SImon
simonjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2021, 12:55 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: AR88D dial plate

My old AR88 had been the victim of a cleaning attempt by the previous owner (a pharmacist) and some of the scale suffered. He blocked in the missing numbers and marks in blue biro!

It's the rare all yellow type, not the later alternating yellow/black/yellow type.

35 years after buying the set, I came across an NOS main dial, it was even the all yellow type. New in packaging. It was on a stall at the G-QRP rochdale doo, but I can't remember whose stall it was and I can no longer ask George.

So there are spares out there.

David
Old 24th Jun 2021, 1:02 pm   #3
simonjp
Tetrode

Default Re: AR88D dial plate

Thanks David

I didnt know there were two types. Mine is the Black/yellow bands.

I suppose that it is some consolation that there are spares out there.

Wouldn't like to wait 35 years though, I'll be dead by then!.

simonjp is offline   Reply With Quote